Solved

4G data in Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria?

• 9 July 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
I have recently come on holiday to Gran Canaria and got myself an iD 8GB SIM so I didn't need to worry about WiFi too much while I was away. When I arrived my iD SIM and my secondary SIM which is Tesco mobile both connected to movistar which I presume is the strogest mobile connection on the island. Upon turning on my data I only managed to get a H+ connection on my iD although on my Tesco SIM I constantly get 4G. Along with this my Tesco SIM get a connection instantly yet my iD SIM takes around 1-3 minutes. I have tried swapping the sim slots and messing around in the settings but Nothing seems to changed at all.
icon

Best answer by Ryan 16 July 2018, 16:04

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Max jameson,

The signal can vary per network.
Tesco Mobile use different masts for coverage than iD Mobile do and so the agreement with international masts can also change.

It's possible that a 4G signal isn't supported for iD in this location but 3G is.

We can't guarantee 4G coverage abroad due to the limitations.

One thing you can check is just ensuring that your APN settings are correct?

Since you're using multiple SIMs in your device, it's possible you're using Tesco's APN settings as opposed to iD Mobiles.

Are you able to send a screenshot of your APN settings?

Mohammed
Userlevel 1

I rang up customer support last night as I noticed I got a text saying "terminal cannot be configured" and they ran me through changing my APN settings although I have noticed little change apart from gaining a connect slightly faster sometimes. I'll post a screenshot of the text and the APN settings for you to see
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Max jameson,

Thanks for confirming those settings, they do look all in order.

I've done some research, and some Dual-SIM handsets only allow one 4G connection at a time and they usually choose the SIM which is gaining the stronger of the two, even if its only slightly. When you have the iD SIM card in the phone on its own, does it pick up a 4G signal?

Ryan
Userlevel 1
Hi, I have tried taking out the other SIM and I seem to only get H+ still although I did take a trip to the other part of the and I did get slighter better connection and had more time on a 3G connection than usual. This does lead me to believe it is more of just a signal issues rather than anything else.
Userlevel 1
Well I thought I could makes calls but it seems I have been using my other SIM. I tried making a call today from my iD number and I was greeted with the message "this number has not been assigned to a client" I don't know what this is supposed to mean. I can text fine and receive call with no problem.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Max jameson,

The internet connection strength issue may just be down to the coverage on the island, however the calling issue does sound strange. Would you be able to get in touch with us via Live Chat in order for us to view your account in more detail?

Thanks,
Ryan
Userlevel 1
I rang up yesterday and managed to solve the issue. All I needed to do was change all my numbers from 07 to +44
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I rang up yesterday and managed to solve the issue. All I needed to do was change all my numbers from 07 to +44

This is what I was just about to suggest when reading through the replies @Max jameson,

I'll mark this as resolved as It's been advised above to contact us to pick this up.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?