Question

Apple watch cellular

• 29 March 2020
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I was gifted an Apple Watch 5 and have an existing contract (quite new) with iD. Can I get my Apple Watch  synched up to my existing contract so I can use cellular/ call functionality without having to take my phone?

13 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Forthright with this information? iD Mobile don't have a magic crystal ball that lets then know your future requirements. When you signed the agreement you had 30 days to change your mind, you didn't? I'm guessing you obtained your watch after such period? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Petecarpo,

No it doesn’t, as we never said it would work with a watch or sold the contract under the guise that it was compatible with that device.

Will

Userlevel 1

Thanks all,

Do you know if there any plans for ID to start allowing this in the future? 

Cheers 

Chloe 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Mitchell190881,

I don’t believe the SIM would be compatible to use in the watch is what I meant, apologies for the misunderstanding.

You can’t have 2 active SIM cards both linked to the same number.

So you’ll need to order a new SIM and it’ll have a different number.

Mohammed

I need another nano sim card for my daughters kids smart watch 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Chloe JG,

We don’t have any information on current plans to support this, sorry about that.

Mohammed

Same position here. So I’m stuck in contract for my phone and cant use my watch alongside with the same number? 
This can’t be right? 
I would not have got a contract with you if you had been forthright with this information. Can somebody contact me about this please? 
Thanks 

Hi

my daughter has had a contract with ID mobile for around a year now..This year she wants an Apple Watch for Xmas but am I right in thinking that ID mobile is not compatible to use with an Apple Watch ( as cellular that is ) ? If this is the case then does this not make her contract void as it is not able to fulfill requirements?

regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Mitchell190881 our SIMs are not eSIMs so they’re not compatible inside smartwatches, sorry about that.

Mohammed

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Chloe JG,

I’m not an expert in Apple Watch series, but If i’m not wrong the watch needs an eSIM inside for cellular capabilities. This isn’t something that’s supported as our SIMs are not eSIMs.

We’d recommend speaking to Apple first to clarify if there are any special requirements. If it’s an eSIM, then it won’t work, however, if it’s just by connecting via Bluetooth, they may be able to help you get up and running.

Mohammed

Hi i get that but it doesn't need a esim just a nano sim so i need one for her watch as she obviously needs the one in her mobile phone 

Userlevel 1

I think it’s eSim needed. Do iD offer normal cellular? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @Chloe JG 

Unfortunately all smartwatches that offer cellular connection require eSim compatibility, even more so provider needs to allow mobile number sharing between connected devices. What I mean is, normally with the physical Sim Card the rule is one mobile number per one physical Sim Card which means another Sim cannot have the same number active at the same time. With the eSim option some providers allow number sharing between connected devices that are compatible with this feature.  For example Vodafone offer service called OneNumber which allows your number to be active on your phone, your apple watch and even Alexa device at the same time. 

Unfortunately iD Mobile does not offer such a feature at this time. 

Kind Regards 

Gregor

Why iD Mobile?