Solved

EE vs ID mobile coverage

• 26 May 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
I bought a 4g SIM camera to watch over my ponies. It came with a pay as go EE SIM card, £10 for 2gb a month. I wanted to get another SIM card to get as much data as I could for a £10 a month. ID mobile turned out to be the best. It even looked like it had better 4g coverage then EE where the camera is set up (postcode AB21 0JN). However after now putting the ID mobile SIM card in the camera it takes longer to connect, it's very laggy and drops connection all together sometimes. I've looked at ID mobile coverage checker and it says there "no network problems reported in this area".

Question is, Is there a problem with the network but no one has reported it or is ID mobile lying about there 4g coverage?

I'm thinking about returning the SIM card. Also might return my mobile SIM card too (also now ID mobile) As I wont be happy if that's the coverage I'm going to get.
icon

Best answer by Mohammed 27 May 2019, 12:40

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @FindlaterM,

Looking on https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage
We can see that the postcode shows a big patch of no 4G coverage and some weak areas surrounding.

We'd expect this to be due to limited coverage in the area.
There was some planned work on the 24/05/19 which we're hoping may have helped (and could also have been a factor in the delays).

For SIMS purchased from us directly (via our website/phone) we offer a 30-day returns period so it may be worth testing till you're satisfied with whether the coverage is poor in the area and wanting to return or if you'd like to continue with the services.

That said, SIM plans are 30-day rolling contracts so you can also cancel any time with 30-days notice.

Get in touch with us if you'd like to return this.

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Morning @Mohammed

I should have said the camera is set up in a small field. That postcode is the best I can give as a location. You are right there is dead zone just above the pin dorp. But if you look at were the red pin is droped, the field (camera) is straight down and a little to right from the red pin and in the middle of the "indoor & outdoor". Meaning it should be fine. That SIM card started on 21/05/2019. It looks like even with the works around the 24/05/2019 it's not helped.

It's a real shame that it's not going to work out been with ID mobile as 9gb a month for £10 is a good deal. The best I can see now that uses the EE network is plusnet at £9.50 for 4.5gb.

Thank you for your help though,
Mark.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Morning @Mohammed

I should have said the camera is set up in a small field. That postcode is the best I can give as a location. You are right there is dead zone just above the pin dorp. But if you look at were the red pin is droped, the field (camera) is straight down and a little to right from the red pin and in the middle of the "indoor & outdoor". Meaning it should be fine. That SIM card started on 21/05/2019. It looks like even with the works around the 24/05/2019 it's not helped.

It's a real shame that it's not going to work out been with ID mobile as 9gb a month for £10 is a good deal. The best I can see now that uses the EE network is plusnet at £9.50 for 4.5gb.

Thank you for your help though,
Mark.

Hey @FindlaterM,

Thanks for getting back to us. The map itself is only an estimate into the levels of coverage, I have however, just checked this against the internal service checker to cross reference the masts in your area. From my findings, it did seem like the area of coverage in your area isn't as great and my advice would be to look at a return here.

It truly is a shame as! we hope that the coverage in your area improves over time and we look forward to you joining us again perhaps in the future.

Sorry we couldn't get you a more desired outcome here!

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Do not get EE! They are very slow even though their advertising states they are good! I recommend that you get a GiffGaff SIM for your 4G Cam. They use O2 and I've just checked in O2's database and your postcode should receive 15mbps from O2 in peak time. This should be reliable for HD video streaming.
Sorry for the inconvenience that Three have caused (they are IDs hosts).

Why iD Mobile?