Question

Interference [Piano/Electronic Noise] on Calls

• 24 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Morning

For about 3 weeks, possibly longer, I've been being told that when i’m on a call that i’m introducing electronic noise/interference on the line, especially if it’s a teleconference call, and even if I mute myself on my handset ( Honor 7s), my line is still causing a problem and i'm having to be muted by the organiser at their end. I’ve got 4 out of 5 bars of signal strength at all times.

It appears worse when using Skype for Business Dial-in teleconferences, but has also been reported when I dial in to Cisco Webex and GoToWebinar, and Loopup calls.

I’ve reached out to Customer support this morning who have send out a new SIM, but I have little hope that that will actually fix the problem.

There appears to be an long term issue with EE calls suffering similar where the advice is to drop off 4g calls (https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Calls/Has-anyone-been-hearing-an-electronic-interference-like-a-piano/td-p/750991/page/12 ) so thought i’d reach out here to see if it’s “Just me”.

I’ll be trying the 3G only calls in a bit, and the next step is to try a different handset, but given the above I’m not convinced these will actually solve the problem.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @TallestTim, I’ve been with the company for over a year now and this is certainly the first time I’ve heard of anything like this. It sounds like the synopsis for a short horror movie! Must be quite frustrating for you, so we do apologise.

Let us know how you get on with 3G/an alternate device. If it’s still playing up, I’d recommend jumping on the Live Chat again and asking them to raise a technical ticket. Does it happen when using Wi-Fi Calling, too? How long have you been with us?

Thank you,

Rory

Hi @TallestTim, I’ve been with the company for over a year now and this is certainly the first time I’ve heard of anything like this. It sounds like the synopsis for a short horror movie! Must be quite frustrating for you, so we do apologise.

Let us know how you get on with 3G/an alternate device. If it’s still playing up, I’d recommend jumping on the Live Chat again and asking them to raise a technical ticket. Does it happen when using Wi-Fi Calling, too? How long have you been with us?

Thank you,

Rory

Hi Rory.

Thanks for responding. 

I’ve been with you about a year now, using the same device, and not aware of suffering this problem previously - but then as i can't hear it, perhaps I wouldn’t be!

It seems to get worse the longer i’m on the call for - it can be fine for up to about 40-60 minutes , but then starts up. 

I’ve not suffered it while on 3G during a couple of ~60 min teleconfernce calls, but i’ve not had a skype teleconference which seems to be the most sensitive to it.

I’m wondering if it’s something between back end systems somewhere...

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@TallestTim Hmm, so it seems to crop up when there’s multiple participants on a call? It doesn’t tend to happen if it’s just a normal 1-on-1 call? I’d recommend logging a tech ticket with the Live Chat team so they can have a look into what might be causing it.

Thank you,

Rory

@TallestTim Hmm, so it seems to crop up when there’s multiple participants on a call? It doesn’t tend to happen if it’s just a normal 1-on-1 call? I’d recommend logging a tech ticket with the Live Chat team so they can have a look into what might be causing it.

Thank you,

Rory

Until last week i’d only had it reported on conference calls - however, on a call on Friday night had it after 43 minutes with a friend on a landline (using 3g at my end) , hung up, and immediately called them again and it wasn’t there.

New Sim card turned up this morning, so will give that a go.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

So it’s only really cropping up on longer calls, and so far it’s happened on 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi Calling? Did you manage to try a new handset yet?

Let us know how you get on with the new SIM.

Thank you,

Rory

So it’s only really cropping up on longer calls, and so far it’s happened on 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi Calling? Did you manage to try a new handset yet?

Let us know how you get on with the new SIM.

Thank you,

Rory

Hi Rory. 

Yep,  longer calls definately seem to be a factor.

3G &  4G, my phone doesn’t support wi-fi calling.

Got a 3 hour call tomorrow, will let you know how it goes with the new sim.

Yours

Why iD Mobile?