Question

iphone 7 - No Service

• 29 September 2020
  • 13 replies

I was in Nottingham yesterday and when I woke up, my iPhone 7 showed No Service. The hotel was in a remote spot so I thought that may be the issue, but I’m now home in Devon and still No Service is displayed. I have done everything that Google suggests - restarted the phone, checked the Sim, turned flight mode on and off, turned the phone off for 10 minutes,  reset all sorts of stuff, updated the phone etc etc but it’s still not working! Helllllllllllllllllp

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @grakay,

We are sorry to hear about this! Have you been able to try the SIM card inside another phone to see if the fault lies with the phone or with the SIM card?

Ryan

No. I put it in my wife’s mobile but she isn’t on the same network.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Okay @grakay, sounds like you’ve tried most troubleshooting tips at this point. I didn’t see any mention of resetting the network settings entirely, though, so could you try this for me? This will force the phone to establish the connection from scratch again, so should hopefully fix things.

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Reset > Network Settings Reset. Please note: this will erase any stored Wi-Fi networks too, so these will need to be set up again.

If you’re still having issues after that, there’s either an issue with the SIM or the phone itself. Do you have a different SIM you can try in your iPhone? Your iPhone will be unlocked if you bought it from us after July 2017, so another network SIM (such as your wife’s) should work just fine.

Thank you,

Rory

I’ve just put in the original SIM supplied with the phone and done the network reset (which I’ve done before anyway) and still no service. I have already contacted Apple and they said my phone appears to be working fine. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Could you try your wife’s SIM in your phone for me? You haven’t upgraded or received a new SIM recently, have you? You only have one SIM from us?

Thank you,

Rory

You supplied a SIM with the phone a while ago. When I got the phone, I just swapped the SIM from old iphone  (which had previously been with you), into my new phone. It worked perfectly until last Monday.  Hence I tried the supplied SIM and it didn’t work. My wife is out so I haven’t got her phone at the minute. I’d ring her and ask her to come home, but I can’t!!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

So, just to confirm, you have two iD Mobile SIMs and neither of them are working? That seems odd. You haven’t missed any payments, have you? 

Could you confirm your postcode so I can check for any disruption in your area?

Thank you,

Rory

I had an iPhone that I cracked the screen on and I was due an upgrade. I was with ID Mobile. I upgraded. You sent me an iPhone 7 and a SIM card came in the box with it. I didn’t use it. I took my old SIM Card out of my old phone and put it in the iPhone 7 and it worked just fine, hence the 2nd SIM card remained unused until this afternoon when I put it in to test the phone.

I pay by direct debit and my account is fine. I live in TQ3 3ZU but it first failed when I was in Nottingham last weekend and hasn’t worked since.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Yeah, when upgrading, you’d usually just carry on using the same SIM as before, so you were right to do that. We only send you a new one just in case you’ve lost/broken the old one, or it won’t fit in your new phone. 

I can see that there’s been some congestion on your local mast since 29th September which is likely causing issues. Three’s engineers are aware. Could you confirm the postcode of the Nottingham hotel for me, too? It seemed a bit farfetched that there’d be issues in the two places you visited, so I didn’t initially ask, but it seems that might be the case after all.

Thank you,

Rory

I’m now on day 6 with no service and there’s nothing saying the service is down. When I was on live chat, they implied that I had been sent a new SIM card and I had no service because I had yet to activate the card? Can you confirm if that’s the case and if it is, why can’t you just reactivate the SIM card that used to work?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @grakay, looks like the Nottingham postcode was having issues on the 4G mast, too, also since 29th September. Rather peculiar, I must say.

I’m not sure I follow that line of thought RE: the SIM card? If the new one hasn’t been activated yet, then that would suggest that the existing SIM is the one that’s active. I’d recommend jumping back on Live Chat and asking them to confirm which SIM is active; you can check your SIM number on the csrd itself.

Let us know how you get on!

Thank you,

Rory

If only ‘jumping back on Live Chat’ was that easy. Why can’t someone just call me? It’s quicker to speak than to type. Live chat never seems to be available!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @grakay, unfortunately we’re not able to arrange callbacks. Please make sure you’re accessing Live Chat from a desktop or laptop, as the feature isn’t available on mobile. 

Thank you,

Rory

Why iD Mobile?