Solved

New SIM, no service or very bad signal

• 10 January 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1

I got a new phone so gave my old Iphone 5 to my kid and purchase PAYG Sim card.

It took a while to get this set up and activated.

We live in a major town with excellent phone signal everywhere but iD Mobile signal is barely one bar but mostly “No Service” (but parents contract phones with O2 and Vodafone have full service, 4 bars). WiFi Calling is enabled but even that doesn’t stay on and goes to “no service” as we move through the house (wifi still on and good strength).

I tried everything suggested here, but made no difference

https://community.idmobile.co.uk/coverage-24/i-have-no-service-30022

I spoke to customer service and they say it should be working and it must be something wrong with the phone. I used this phone myself up to a few days ago for years and it was nothing wrong with it.

Any other ideas?

Has anyone had similar issue and found a solution?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 20 January 2020, 14:13

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @laskes,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with coverage.

Please can you confirm your full postcode so we can take a look at this further for you?

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

TN23 4QW

Still bad today, kids have no signal whilst we (grown ups) have 4 bars on O2 and Vodafone.

Occasionally signal appears for a few seconds and then goes back to “no service”

they are connected to WIFI, “wifi calling” enabled but not working either

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks @laskes , so is this the first time the phone has been used on iD Mobile? It could be that the phone is not fully compatible with the 4G networks supported by iD Mobile as 4G was only introduced on the iPhone 5.

If only 3G signal is available, this will limit the coverage being received and we do not support 2G network connections

-Phil 

Userlevel 1

The phone is iphone 5s. We have 4G and good signal (4 bars) if either an O2 or Vodafone SIM cards are inserted. We get no signal with ID mobile SIM card, occasionally one bar pops up but it disappears even if we walk to the other side of the  same room. ID wifi calling also doesn’t stay up either.  The phone was used by us before giving to the child and never experienced any signal issues until we got ID mobile sims for the child. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thank you @laskes,

If you get this level of signal everywhere then it may indicate some incompatibility but if you get good service anywhere it could be down to local coverage.

You can check here for a guide.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage

-Phil 

Userlevel 1

Coverage is excellent, but the kids phones still have no signal.

Will have to part company on this issue, I am afraid

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @laskes,

Just checking the coverage on our internal checker, we can see that there was some unplanned outage picked up on the 14/01/20 at one of the 4G masts. Have you tried switching to 3G only?

Mohammed

Same issue here. Left ID mobile afrer 1 month, switched to skymobile. There are obvious compatibility issues with older phones and three mobiles network. I was happily streaming Netflix with 4G at work with lebara (Vodafone) but switched to ID for a great offer. Unfortunately it was not so great as I couldn't get enough signal to make a phonecall or even browse the Internet with ID. Switched again to skymobile (O2) and hey presto, full 4G signal at work, plenty of signal for calling. My ID sim worked fine in newer phones where there was no signal with mine. Wasted my time and money, and won't make the same mistake again. Stinks of forcing new handset sales 😡

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Slimfastjohn,

Sorry to hear that the coverage wasn’t great for you. We use the Three UK network for coverage, so this can vary per customer as the area/masts offer different levels of coverage. 

If you need any support, please feel free to let us know.

Mohammed

It's ashame but unless coverge problems are fixed quickly customers will gradually switch to a provider who can give better coverage.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @malcs,

All networks do our best to provide the very best coverage across the country, but sometimes it can prove difficult in certain areas. 

We appreciate your feedback.

Will

Have just had new Sim , When I go out and about I lose all Wifi . This never happened with the old Sim, When at home signal and wifi excellent.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @mcnamee57,

The WiFi will be going out of range I imagine, so won’t be available when not near your router. Is the non-WiFi signal fine when you’re out and about?

Will

It seems to have regained full service I did remove SIM and replace Also putting it in aeroplane mode and switching off Took a while though Thanks for taking your time though

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Keep us posted on how things get on @mcnamee57 we’ll assist further a best we can if needed.

Take care.

Why iD Mobile?