Solved

Not registered on network

Userlevel 1
I've been an ID customer for about 3 years, after about 18 months I started to have some issues with mobile data (being unable to connect to 4G, having to restart phone 3 times to use data for about 10 minutes before it went again) but was told this was because of the handset/poor signal. I upgraded at the end of my contract and the problems persisted. I called up and was issued a new SIM card which had the same problems as the first. I went into carphone warehouse and they said that a new SIM card wouldn't make a difference and that I had to call ID and tell them to reset the network on my account. I spoke to ID and was told that all they could do was send me a new SIM card. Again this had the same issues with data but over the past couple of weeks it's started to lose connection to the network full stop. It's always emergency calls only I cannot send or receive texts or calls. Occasionally if I restart my handset 6 or 7 times in a row I can connect to the network for a few hours then it goes again. If I manually connect to the network it says 'unable to connect try again later'. I live with my partner and his ID mobile works perfectly so I know it isn't a problem with the area and I've tried my SIM card in several phones to test and it's always the same (currently using a Samsung s6). I cannot call ID because of my network issues and the live chat is always down so I'm unsure about what to do next.
icon

Best answer by Mohammed 29 June 2018, 13:00

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi @evhargreaves

I'm not happy to hear that you have had trouble using your mobile data and that you seem to have had little assistance so far with your issue.

On occasion we would send a replacement SIM card out to see if this rectifies the issue, if not then we would look down other avenues and see what could be causing the problem. Apologies if this has not been done previously, we're here to help you now.

Let's explore this issue and see what we can do to help.

Are you having trouble making or receiving calls, or sending and receiving SMS messages?

Have you tried testing the SIM card in another device? This would rule out any problems with your current handset that may be causing the problem.

Let us know, we'd love to get this cracked for you.

Chloé.
Userlevel 1
Hi thank you for your reply. I am having fewer problems with messaging and calling however when I am in a low signal area my phone still completely disconnects from the network and I cannot connect to 4G at all even if I am connected to the network. I have tested the SIM card in several devices, it is currently in a Samsung galaxy s6.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @evhargreaves,

Have you tried checking our Coverage Checker to see what the estimated coverage in your area is?

This will give you a visual representation of how strong the 4G/3G is in your area.

Give it a try and let us know.

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Thank you, I checked and it said there is a very good 4G service in my area.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hey @evhargreaves,

Just to confirm, you have tried this SIM in different devices but the data service you receive is still problematic. The replacement SIM that we sent, was this also used in other phones as well?

Ryan
Userlevel 1
Yes I've tried each SIM card in several handsets.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Yes I've tried each SIM card in several handsets.

Hello @evhargreaves,

I've PM'ed you on how we're able to get this resolved.

Can you check this for us please?

Mohammed
My partner is having same problem can someone pm a resolution please
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Funky_Ferrets,

Has your partner tried their SIM card in another device to see if this issue still happens?

Ryan
Hi,
I´ve a similar problem with my Samsung Galaxy S5 mobile. My battery was running down too quickly so I changed a few settings to reduce battery usage a few days ago. I noticed the next day that I was ok to make calls/send texts, use the internet both via Wifi and without but didn´t seem able to look at google maps, for example. I changed all the settings back to fix it, however, it didn´t seem to work. I flew to Germany the next day and noticed that my phone only allowed me to use the internet very briefly when I was at the UK airport but then wouldn´t connect to the internet at all.

I am now in Germany and although roaming is switched on (both on my ID account and my mobile), I cannot connect to the internet unless I am on Wifi. I am ok to make calls or text but just can´t connect to the internet. I did a factory reset, which hasn´t resolved the problem. I have just tried my Sim in a different phone and had the same problem. My settings are German but the network status under the status menu shows as not connected to the network. My network mode was automatically set to GSM/WCDMA/LTE. There is good phone coverage in my area so this shouldn´t be the issue (I have used the same phone at the same location a few months ago without problems).

Can someone please help? This is driving me crazy and I have spent hours going through the settings, resetting things etc.!

Thanks!!!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @girasol,

I'm sorry to hear this! Sometimes, I find that the phone may be using Three UK internet settings. Although these settings work whilst in the UK, abroad they would block the connection to the internet.

If you find the APN (Access Point Names) settings within your phone and then press 'Menu' and then 'Reset To Default', once you choose iD Mobile again this might work.

Let me know if it doesn't.

Ryan
Hi Ryan,

I have just had a look and the only network I can select under APN´s is three.co.uk. I reset it but it just comes up with the same three.co.uk setting and I still can´t access the internet, only make calls and send texts.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Heidi
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @girasol,

No problem, you can add the settings yourself in this case, just press the menu button inside the APN section and add a new one using the below settings:

The full link can be found here.

Ryan
Ryan,
I have added ID in the APN settings as above and restarted the phone as well but it didn´t make a difference. It still won´t connect to the internet without Wifi. Thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi girasol, are you able to delete the Three APN settings so only the iD settings are active?

You can use Telekom or O2 networks whilst in Germany so you could manually search to check which you can connect to.

Do you have 3/4G showing at all?

-Phil
Hi Phil,

I had a look but I can´t find any option to delete the Three APN setting, only the reset option which wen I tried it few days ago only came back with Three as standard.

I am connected to O2 in Germany, which has worked in the past when I went to Germany (on the same phone). Not sure about the 3/4G but I have netork mode WCDMA only as network mode if that means anything?

Thanks,
Heidi
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Hi @girasol

Are you given the option within your Samsung S5 to manually add the APN settings to be as Ryan shared a couple of posts back?

I've had a look on the Samsung Support website to try and familiarise myself with your phone and using this page:
https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-check-my-apn-mobile-internet-settings/

It seems as though there should be an "Add" button which could be what you need here.
Hi Kevin,

Yes, I can add APN´s and I have added the ID APN as described above. I also made sure it´s selected and not the Three APN, but it doesn´t seem to make a difference. I can still only text/make calls and the internet won´t work unless I am on Wifi. :(

Thanks,
Heidi
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @girasol,

Try deleting all of your current APN settings (including the iD one).

This will reset you on the network.

Then add a fresh new APN setting with the iD Settings above. It's important that you add a new APN and not change the existing ones or it won't work.

Let us know when you've tried this.

Mohammed
Hi Mohammed,

I have just tried to do this, however, the system won´t allow me to delete all APN´s. There is only one option to reset the APNs to standard settings. If I do this the ID APN get deleted but the three.co.uk APN doesn´t get deleted. I can´t see any other way to delete the three.co.uk APN.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @girasol,

Are you able to set the APN setting to the iD one and then delete the Three UK one?

Mohammed
Hi Mohammed,

good idea. I can delete the Three UK setting like this. However, could you please confimr the MCC and MNC for the APN settings as my phone won´t allow me to save the ID profile without (I couldn´t find them in the instructions above)?

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Are you not able to leave them blank?

Could you potentially get us a screenshot of that page you're editing. It could potentially just be that your phone is referring to those options as something slightly different. Though with a screenshot we'll be able to potentially help further, or get this investigated by our Tech Team if we don't have the answers ourselves.

Thanks
Hi Kevin,

sorry for the late reply. I was despairing with this during my holiday so just left it in the end. I tried setting up the ID APN again before I left Germany and the good thing is that this time my mobile seemed to automatically update the MCC and MNC settings which partly solved the problem so I could use the internet briefly (I attached some screenshots of the current APN settings). Thanks for that!

However, I am now back to the UK and although the internet sometimes works, it often times out, shows as offline or takes a long time to load pages. I am pretty sure this isn´t just a coverage issue as I live in a big city, it´s been happening since i got back 3 days ago and I never had problems here before. I have tried to request new internet settings from the ID homepage but even though the page tells me it has sent them I don´t receive them on my phone (I am able to receive texts and calls from other people).

Do you have any other suggestions I could try to fix this?

Many thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi girasol, can you please try the APN type as "default,supl,mms"

Phil

Why iD Mobile?