Question

Poor Coverage

Userlevel 1
Hi, I've just joined iD mobile but I'm very disappointed with the coverage I'm getting at home. The Network coverage checker says very good service indoors and outdoors but indoors I've got virtually no signal and outdoors the signal is still weak and only 3G not the 4G i was led to expect.
The checker doesn't say there are any faults in my area, So is the best I can expect?

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Percival,

Welcome to the iD community!

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these issues. Have you tried using your phone away from home to see if you still obtain poor service?

If so, there could be an issue with the phone. If the service is better away from home, we'll have to look into your issue further.

Ryan
Userlevel 1
I can get a better 4G signal away from home so no I don't think it's the phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Percival,

Can you PM me your postcode to start?

This will allow me to check the coverage in your area.

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Hi, I sent you a PM 3 days ago with the details you requested.
Any Update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hi, I sent you a PM 3 days ago with the details you requested.
Any Update?

Hello @Percival,

Apologies for the delayed response.

I've checked our internal coverage checker and found that there's currently some unplanned outage in your area affecting coverage at one of the masts.

There was also some planned maintenance on the 27/07/18 that affected the service in your area which has now completed.

I don't have a completion date for this.

We do offer a 14-day returns on contracts purchased from Carphone Warehouse and a 30-day returns from orders placed on our website.

If you've got a SIM-only plan and you're unhappy with the coverage, you'd be able to cancel at any time.

We'd recommend monitoring this for the next few days in the event that the unplanned outage issue is resolved.

Mohammed
Userlevel 2

This is nothing new, but frustrating. I have to use my phone indoors and outside my home on Wi Fi Calling.  I have a 50gb allowance for data and I cannot use it at home. My Hauwei phone on iD behaved similarly.  The coverage checker says 

3G coverage in RG9 2HX

Good service.

You should be able to make calls, send texts, and use the internet in most instances on our 3G network.

indoor signal strength may vary.

Any change of a reduction in charges for this poor coverage please?

Userlevel 2

Reception in Henley Town is fine

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Waffles,

I have checked the coverage for the postcode RG9 2HX and we can see that the coverage should be good outdoors but indoors, it will be very marginal which is likely to be the cause of the issues you have mentioned. The nearest mast to that postcode is experiencing congestion and the possible reason for this is due to the next nearest mast currently experiencing a long-term unplanned outage, so all users in the area will be congesting the one mast.

Are you on a SIM-only plan; we can look at what cheaper tariffs are available to you if you like?

Ryan

Userlevel 2

I have a 24 month contract for a Samsung A51 so cannot downgrade my sim as when I am away from home reception is pretty good. Even abroad as well when I have travelled with my other phone.

How do we get the outage on the next nearest mast sorted out, or has it now been reported please?

Thank  you Ryan

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Waffles, congestion and outage are two separate things.

Congestion is when there’s alot of traffic going through the mast, whereas outages are where the mast is down.

Congestion usually leads to slower speeds etc, whereas outages lead to little to no coverage.

For Congestion, it’s a case of Three UK looking to improve the mast to allow more connections and we don’t have time-frames for that unless the work is planned and shown on our end.

For outages, it’s flagged to the networking side at Three UK who’d get an engineer out to fix.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?