Solved

Republic of Ireland charges

• 14 June 2018
  • 7 replies

Could you please confirm that when I call the Republic of Ireland from the UK I am not billed extra as long as I still have minutes and a text message allowance remaining (for the month)? And could you also confirm that I would not be charged extra for calls made within the Republic of Ireland (either to phones within the country or to the UK), as long as I have remaining minutes and text messages according to my monthly allowance? Is it the same with data: can I use my data allowance within the Republic of Ireland and not be charged extra? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Chloe 15 June 2018, 15:53

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi @pacificus

As the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK, you will incur extra charges if you call a Republic of Ireland number.

All of our International call rates can be located here:

International Calling & Roaming Charges

Just select Ireland from the drop down and you will find the information you need.

Chloe
Thanks for your reply. I did read that due to a "roaming" agreement there are certain countries in which, and to which, calls are regarded in the same way as UK calls - the monthly allowance applies. Your reply contradicts this. Just to clarify, I have a monthly contract.

Is there confusion between calls made within the Republic of Ireland and calls to the Republic of Ireland from the UK?
From the page you linked me to:

"What is inclusive EU roaming?
Inclusive EU roaming comes as standard on all iD Mobile plans. It lets you roam like at home in 50 destinations across the EU and beyond (to give you even better value, we've added quite a few non-EU destinations to the list). The minutes, texts and data you use simply come out of your monthly allowances - subject to our fair usage & open data policies."

Surely that means that if I have 100-minutes of calls then I can use those 100-minutes of talk-time in one of the 50-destinations, as described in the quoted text above. So, I can use my phone in exactly the same way in the Republic of Ireland as I can in the UK, which is how I interpret it. Are you saying otherwise?

Is calling one of those 50-countries from the UK different - more expensive - than using the phone within any of them, and is that what you were referring to in your reply?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi @pacificus

If you were to use your handset within the Republic of Ireland you would be considered to be roaming. If you were to use the from from the UK to the Republic of Ireland, you would be making an International calls.

Does that make sense?

Chloe
Userlevel 8
Badge +3
Hi @pacificus, as the Republic of Ireland is one of our 50 Inclusive roaming countries, you can use your inclusive minutes, text and data. You can also purchase our standard add-ons to use within those countries, should you need extra allowances.

As mentioned by Chloe, calling abroad from the UK is considered an international call and subject to international call charges (even if you're calling one of our Inclusive roaming countries).

You can get more info on using your iD phone in Ireland (and any other inclusive roaming destination) here:
https://community.idmobile.co.uk/coverage-international-roaming-24/how-does-inclusive-roaming-work-200
Userlevel 1

I need to be able to text and call republic of ireland

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi@Katemolloy,

You should be able to do this, you’ll just need to ensure that you have your billing cap set high enough to account for the charges that would be applied to your bill following the calls and texts being made.

Logging into our app is the easiest way of setting this up. :)

You can view our international calling prices here.

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?