Solved

Signal but no service

• 23 August 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help me understand what's going on here ☺️

Just got my new sim from iD.

In most of the rooms of my house I get no service. In 1 room I get service but the signal strength is 0 - 1 bars on my phone.

What I don't understand is when I get no service, my signal strength is 2, 3 and sometimes full strength.

Is it possible that the phone is picking up a different network which obviously I can't connect to?
icon

Best answer by Mohammed 10 September 2018, 14:49

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Flig9000,

That's odd, so you're getting 2-3 bars or even full signal but no service at all?

Are you showing as connected to a network when this happens?

Usually it'll say iD or the network name you're connected to?

Mohammed
Hi Mohammed

When I get good signal it says 'emergency calls only'.

I've done some digging myself and I think it means that I don't have a signal with iD so it's picking up another network to enable me to make emergency calls.

For some reason my Galaxy s6 shows this signal strength, confusing me and the people I've asked!

While you're here Mohammed, I have another question:

When I check the network coverage for my postcode it shows good signal for indoor and outdoor. I can't even get a signal in my back garden.

The network checker gives this message:

The mast you're connected to has a lot of traffic right now. We know about this and we're working on expanding the capacity of the mast to let more people use it. This should fix the problems you're seeing. We're aiming to have this sorted by 27 August 2018.

It's had the same message since I got my sim on the 21st. The date on the message changes every day to the current date.

This leads me to believe that there is nothing going on at the mast.

If I give you my postcode, can you confirm whether there is actually work being performed at the mast or whether it is just a stalling tactic?

Thanks
If I give you my postcode, can you confirm whether there is actually work being performed at the mast or whether it is just a stalling tactic?

I think this confirms my suspicions:

The mast you're connected to has a lot of traffic right now. We know about this and we're working on expanding the capacity of the mast to let more people use it. This should fix the problems you're seeing. We're aiming to have this sorted by 09 September 2018.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I think this confirms my suspicions:

The mast you're connected to has a lot of traffic right now. We know about this and we're working on expanding the capacity of the mast to let more people use it. This should fix the problems you're seeing. We're aiming to have this sorted by 09 September 2018.

Hello @Flig9000,

Sorry about the delayed response here, I'm not sure how this one was missed.

I will PM you with how we can look into this further so we can obtain some information about the masts in your area.

We'll need to access your account in order to do so.

The mast you're connected to has a lot of traffic right now. We know about this and we're working on expanding the capacity of the mast to let more people use it. This should fix the problems you're seeing. We're aiming to have this sorted by 27 August 2018.
It's had the same message since I got my sim on the 21st. The date on the message changes every day to the current date.

This leads me to believe that there is nothing going on at the mast.

This often occurs when the work is ongoing but we've not got a set completion date. In any case, we'd aim to have mast work completed as soon as possible.

Check your PM when you can and follow the steps requested.

Mohammed

Still no signal or 4g will this be sorted soon as I have to work from my phone when out on site work

These posts showing a while ago mine is now and has been for the 5 days

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @What'sthepoint, are you just having issues at home or when you’re out and about, too? Could you please confirm any postcodes where you’re having trouble so we can check for any network disruption?

Have you tried restarting your phone? I know this sounds like a very basic suggestion, but it does fix the majority of network issues.

Thank you,

Rory

Why iD Mobile?