Solved

SIM working intermittently

• 22 October 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1

I changed from monthly contract to a SIM only deal in early October. SIM worked ok at first and then started cutting out from network . After looking on iD community I tried removing SIM and cleaning it. This seemed to be successful and then a few days later same problem occurred. Further research told me to try switching off the phone (Motorola E5) and rebooting. Again this corrected the problem for a few days. Now I keep getting a notification that I have no connection with the network and after a few minutes it is connected again. This is happening all the time. Most annoying. Is it the SIM which could be faulty ? Please can you help ?

Sue D

icon

Best answer by Rory 31 October 2020, 15:31

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Sueditch,

I am sorry to hear about this issue, have you been able to replicate the issue by inserting the SIM card into another phone? If you can try that, it will let us know if the issue is potentially with the SIM card. Let us know how it goes, we can issue a new SIM card to see if this helps if it happens again.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your reply. I will try it in another phone. As the problem is intermittent I will have to wait a few days to see if the problem occurs with the SIM in a different phone. It hasn't lost the network for a few days although the signal level is usually very low.

Sue

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

No problem, just message us here when this has been tested so we can look into this further.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hi thanks. I cannot test the SIM in my old phone because  I find it requires a nano SIM .

I still keep getting indication that SIM is not connected - mostly only lasting for a matter of seconds.  The triangle at the top of the screen which shows signal strength usually shows almost negligible signal. I have had the same phone ( Moto E5) for over 2 years and never had this problem with the old contract.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi there, it sounds like there could be some service disruption in your area. Could you please confirm your postcode for me so we can check?

In the meantime, you may wish to perform a network settings reset. Just go to Settings > Systems > Reset > Network settings reset and follow the steps. This will also remove any Wi-Fi networks you’ve saved, so be sure to set these up again once done.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Thanks. Have done the network reset. 

Post code is PR9 8PP

Another problem which has only appeared recently is failure of phone to show notification dots on home screen so I miss messages. Don't suppose this is connected?? !

Sue

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Sueditch, I can see there was some extensive work carried out to the masts in your area on 28th October, and this is likely causing some knock-on congestion. We expect things to settle down in the next few days, but give us a shout if not.

Regarding your notifications not showing up, this seems like a separate issue. When you say home screen, do you mean on the lock screen? Do notifications still show when you unlock the phone and open the notification tray by sliding your finger down from the top?

Your phone likely has a Notifications section in the Settings, which should be of help.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your help. 

Regarding the notification issue. It does show I have a message ( email Icon or WhatsApp icon seen on locked screen. Also shows in notification tray but when screen is unlocked I may get a tone to alert me but the Icons on the unlocked screen do not show any dots. This used to happen until recently and in settings it is set to show notification dots. If I don't hear the tone I can miss the fact that a message has come in ( unless constantly checking the notification tray by sliding down from top of screen)

Fingers crossed that signal problem is sorted. Thanks again for help

Sue

Userlevel 1

Further to intermittent loss of signal this has been occurring for several weeks - not only since Oct 28th so I suspect it may be something else but will see what happens over next few days

Thanks

Sue

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Sueditch, so the actual app icons on your menu screen usually show a little dot to indicate that there’s new activity, is that right? I’m not sure why these have suddenly stopped appearing, particularly if the setting is still set to on as you say. 

Is it possible that you’ve accidentally enabled battery saving mode on your phone? These modes can sometimes interfere with notifications in order to conserve battery. Please also make sure your system software and all of your apps are up to date. 

To update your system software

Go to Settings > System > System update.

To update your apps

1. From the Home screen, tap Play Store.
  2. Tap the Menu icon and My apps & games.
  3. Tap Update all to update all applications with updates available.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Thanks again. Yes you have got it right - no dots appearing on the apps icons on the menu page. Have checked battery - not in battery saver mode. Automatic updates set for all apps and  they are up to date, so is the system.

Sue

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hmm, that’s really odd @Sueditch. And there are definitely new notifications for those apps? Presumably you’ve tried restarting your phone in this time?

There’s a possibility that, while the setting is switched to ON in general, it’s somehow been disabled on an app-by-app basis. From the Notifications screen, select Notifications > desired app > edit the Notification settings as desired.

If you’re still having issues after this, I’d recommend contacting Motorola themselves.

Has there been any uptick in your coverage today, Sue?

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Hello again

Yes I have restarted the phone and I have checked the notification settings against the three apps that I rely on (messaging, email and WhatsApp). It is very weird || Thank you very much for your help as I realise this is not anything to do with iD !

I have not had any loss of signal from the network in the last 24 hours. 

Regards Sue

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Great news about the signal, Sue. Hopefully that’s that sorted, then, but do give us a shout here if the problems return and we’ll see what we can do. And best of luck with Motorola!

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Many thanks 

Sue

Why iD Mobile?