Question

Struggling with Network connection

• 28 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi. Every time I'm in hospital I have no network connection and therefore can't use my sms or mobile data to send messages via the usual messaging services and as hospitals use captive wifi - the messaging services I use (android) don't work either (WhatsApp for example). Has anyone got any advice in regards to establishing a better network connection so I can use my mobile network/data or which messaging apps may work on captive wifi? Any advise/help is appreciated! Thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Mine doesn't work at my new work place. The answer is a different SIM/service
Badge +10
@Tilona welcome to the ID Community

Captive Wi-Fi hotspots often require you to log in before being able to connect to the internet. If you are on a captive Wi-Fi, you have 2 choices:
  1. Disconnect from the Wi-Fi and use your mobile internet connection. [Not an option for you]
  2. Log into the Wi-Fi network. This can usually be accomplished by opening the browser on your phone and navigating to your home page.
If you are logged into the system, and are still having trouble, please either disconnect from the Wi-Fi (and Forget the connection in your Wi-Fi settings), or contact the system administrator to make sure that secure connections are possible through that Wi-Fi hotspot.

Note: WhatsApp does not support proxy connections.

So basically you need to be logged into the network before you can use it, slightly different to the wifi login we are all used to within settings/network.

If the Wi-fi you use is a captive network, you need to log in on your phone browser or it won't be able to be used.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
I've noticed from a number of hospitals in the past that connection can be quite bad inside. Equipement interference, plus the size of the buildings can sometimes cause some trouble there.

If @terrywebbsthe advice from @terrywebbs didn't help above then it could potentially be that the hospital in question has blocked certain apps from being usable on their network. It could be worth asking at the hospital if they can confirm whether it works for them or if it's a known Wi-Fi network decision there.

If your phone supports Wi-Fi calling you may be able to turn that on to at least be able to get a boost to your signal that way too. A list of the phones we officially support on Wi-Fi calling can be found here

Why iD Mobile?