Solved

Thinking of returning to iD...

• 19 October 2020
  • 3 replies

..but want to be sure that a problem that I have had with both Virgin and Plusnet will be resolved.

About 80% of the time, whilst I am at home (which these days is most of my time!), calls have been going straight to voicemail.

After much research, resets and resolve, it turns out this is because Virgin and PlusNet don't support VoLTE (Voice over LTE), and in order to receive an incoming call, the network must switch the phone to 3g. If the 3g coverage in the area is choppy (didn’t think it was round here (NR18) but can only assume this the the crux of the problem) then it can take too long for the phone to switch and reconnect and thus the network sends the call to voicemail.

So I am now looking at going back to iD as they support VoLTE in the hope it means I will receive calls again.

I have a Pixel 3 phone which does show an option for 4G Calling in the settings (currently disabled I guess to due Plusnet not supporting it), but in the list of compatible phones here (https://www.idmobile.co.uk/4g-calling) iD are not listing the Pixel 3.

Is this an oversight (as I am assured the Pixel 3 supports VoLTE), or will I really not be lucky this time? 

icon

Best answer by Ryan 22 October 2020, 10:57

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @rjcb23,

Thank you for your message. Our 4G calling compatibility list is not a list of the only phones which will work with the feature, it is just a list of phones which have been directly tested by us. A number of phones not on the list have worked with 4G calling in the past and as your phone supports the feature, it would likely work. You could always purchase a SIM and test the feature before porting your number to us and if you’re not happy then we can return the SIM card.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

It seems I am not lucky!

Having inserted the iD sim, the option for 4g calling does not appear in the settings where it previously (on my EE sim) did.

I presume, then, that this is a restriction of iD not my phone. 

If this something that can be enabled for me?

If not, would I be entitled to a refund at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @rjcb23,

As the handset is not compatible on our list https://www.idmobile.co.uk/4g-calling there wouldn’t be any further support that we can offer via our TechTeam to troubleshoot this.

In some cases people have used non-compatible handsets and it’s work but it’s just down to the firmware in the device.

We can process a return of the contract if you’re still in the returns period and do not want this, you’d only be liable for the services used/time active and any overpaid line rental past this point would be refunded.

Let us know if you’d like to return the contract.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?