Question

uselessly slow 4g despite good signal

• 10 November 2020
  • 10 replies

I switched for EE to get unlimited data, but it is utterly useless. 

speed tests on EE were around 30mbs, but idmobile is about 1 or 2. However, real usage is even slower with web pages taking up to 4 minutes to load, or just timing out completely. It is closer to having no data at all than having “unlimited”. This has been going on for some time, it’s not just a short lived problem. 
please advise, as I think I may just have to cancel and switch network again, despite wanted to stay due to your cheaper prices. Post code is PL1

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @FlibbleJibblet,

Sorry to hear that you’re having issues with data speeds.

We’ll need to check the mast so we can find out what they’re like in your area.

Please can you confirm the full postcode so we can check this? A partial doesn’t return the results on our internal service checker. The full postcode help us locate the masts closest to you.

Mohammed

Thank you, it’s PL1 4GE

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @FlibbleJibblet 

Looking at the postcode above, no known issues are being reported recently on either the 3G or 4G side of things. 

So it could just be an issue with the area itself?  Is this something that’s become noticeable during lockdown, or even before the curse of 2020?

Are you able to try the SIM in another phone just to see if the same sorts of slow behaviours happen there?

If you have any sort of speedtest app, do you notice if speeds are noticeably better if you step outside your house?

I only recently changed from EE to IDmobile so can’t comment on longer term issues, but the signal is typically either 3 bars or the full 4 depending on what floor I’m on. Speed was never the slightest issue with EE on the same device. 
idmobile is literally so slow pages time out constantly and it is utterly unusable. Sometimes though it can be as “good” as 5Mbs, but typically it is under 1Mb on a speed test, or very often, as I say, can’t even run a speed test as there is literally no data despite full signal. It’s ridiculous. Never had less than 25Mbs on EE even if signal was low. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @FlibbleJibblet,

Are you using the same handset as the one the EE SIM card was used in?

Will

Yep

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Has anyone tried sending you another SIM card?

Is that something you’d be wiling to try out @FlibbleJibblet ?

Will

I’m just going to leave ID. 

Trying a third service provider as found a deal, hopefully it will give data that is actually usable. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @FlibbleJibblet 

We are sad to see you leave if you do change your mind we are always here to help. 

Michelle 

Respectfully, if you had been there to help then I probably wouldn’t be leaving. 
I got more help from the general community than ID themselves. 

Why iD Mobile?