Question

Variable Wi-fi calling

• 10 April 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi,
i bought an iPhone SE in Dec 18 and only set it up in January 19. People find it very difficult to hear me when I make calls from home - we don’t have 4G coverage as we’re on the outskirts of the city (which I didn’t expect to be a problem...) and even in an empty house with 4-5 mbps Wi-fi speed and carrier settings of 36.0, I still fade and cut out on Wi-fi calls (I’ve swapped phones in the house and the sound quality coming from my phone is terrible more often than not). My phone is up to date on iOS 12.2. I have switched it off and on again, and turned Wi-fi off and on. Would really appreciate some help as I need to be able to rely on people being able to hear me. I can always hear them fine. It isn’t to do with my phone case obscuring the microphone as it still happens when it is out of the case. Thank you!

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @SE Carer,

We're very sorry to hear about what is happening here. When you say you have swapped phones in the house, are you referring to having tried your SIM card in another phone?

Also, does the service work fine when closer to the city centre? If so, it might simply be down to poorer coverage in your home area.

Ryan
Userlevel 1
When you say you have swapped phones in the house, are you referring to having tried your SIM card in another phone?

Also, does the service work fine when closer to the city centre? If so, it might simply be down to poorer coverage in your home area.

Hi Ryan,

what I did was have a phone call on mobiles in different parts of the house, and then took my son’s phone and he took mine so I could hear the sound quality on my own mobile for myself. I did the same thing with my partner. (They are not with Three).

Yes the service is fine closer to the city centre.

At home my phone says ‘Wi-fi call’ top left, ie the Wi-fi call has taken over from the 4G coverage which is lacking. But even with Wi-fi call, I fade and cut out big time. So I have very variable and poor quality Wi-fi calling as per title of the thread - sorry if I should have made that clearer. We have no problems with our Wi-fi on iPads and laptop eg can stream a programme no problem, got over 60mbps when we last checked.

Would be glad for any help again, thank you,
Debbie
Userlevel 1
By the way, another iPhone SE user had a similar problem, except they didn’t seem to be able to access Wi-fi call. I seem to be able to access it, but then it doesn’t work properly.
terrywebbs replied to them (you) may want to try turning wifi off waiting a few minutes and then turn it back on... [not the wifi-calling feature] on the iphone you want to do this from settings not the widget menu.
I always seem to have issues like this with wifi-calling, this neat trick kick starts the service again, it's a mobile wifi issue, seems to go to sleep or something odd! Airplane mode is neat for kicking the services back to life occasionally too.

I just tried turning Wi-fi off, waiting and turning it back on, but as per the other customer, it didn’t work for me either on the phone call I had just now.
I haven’t tried Airplane mode on and off yet, will try that tomorrow, but I must admit, I am not hopeful.
I’m trying you guys before I try help and support.
thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @SE Carer,

Did you get a chance to try Airplane mode on and seeing if this worked to improve the service?

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
I tried Airplane mode on, using Wi-fi for the call, just now, and the call cut out after 10 seconds.
Ive now disabled Wi-fi calling in the phone settings and re-enabled 4G for Voice and Data, to see how this pans out.
Of this afternoon’s calls, the coverage today is good, ie I am not breaking up on the call.
Obviously I’m not keen on having Wi-fi off or data off in order to make and receive calls.
i will see how the service is over the coming week, when I will be in different places.
thank you
Userlevel 1
At the weekend I made a 3G phone call from the coast and my call came through without breaking up which was great. But I haven’t found the combination in my settings that allows 3G calls from home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi @SE Carer,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm glad to hear that this is working better for you. In regards to the signal at your home address you can use the Coverage Checker at the link below to see if there is any work being carried out in your area.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/uk-coverage-checker

Please let us know how you get on so we can check it out.

Thanks,
Kash

Why iD Mobile?