Solved

Wifi Calling Iphone 5s, Erratic

• 30 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I have an iPhone 5s. Wifi calling works but I am having some issues. 

Basically at home I have a good wifi signal and poor ID Mobile signal. Wifi calling works but is erratic.

The issues are

1. Sometimes the phone is on ID mobile but with low signal strength and poor reception in use. 
  2. Sometimes it goes to wifi calling 
  3. Sometimes it says “no service” despite there being a good wifi signal

The other issue is that sometimes the battery to drains very quickly, from 100% to 40% overnight with no calls made. Other times the battery drop overnight is far less. I suspect that the phone is on wifi calling or no service and is trying to find a mobile signal.

My first question is what is deciding the connection choice between the mobile signal and wifi. Is it the iPhone ( Apple), ID Mobile or the 3 Network.

My second question is can I amend any settings so that at home it will automatically connect to wifi calling. I know about going to airplane mode and that does force wifi calling but then I leave the house and forget to switch of wifi calling. 

Any help would be appreciated

icon

Best answer by Ryan 30 June 2020, 15:51

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Jonm,

I’m sorry to see that you’re having issues with the WiFi calling service and with issues with battery life. If a phone is finding no service often, this will drain the power more as the phone will be trying to search for available networks as you may be aware.

In response to your first question, I would think that the phone would decide what connection it uses. If the mobile signal is good then it should us that instead of WiFi calling, and then it would use WiFi calling if the signal strength is a lot higher than your mobile network signal. In regards to erratic WiFi calling connections, it will usually depend on the WiFi routers bandwidth on offer rather than the general signal strength of the connection; a lower bandwidth or changes to it can sometimes cause WiFi calling to not be available, something like this would need to be investigated by the broadband provider.

In response to your second question, WiFi calling should come into play when the signal level is quite low so there are no settings that you can change to force the phone to connect to WiFi calling over your mobile network service.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Ryan

Thank you for such a quick and comprehensive reply. It may be that as the 5s was the first iPhone to offer wifi calling it is not very good at it.

regards

jon

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Jonm,

No problem! Hopefully it gave some insight into the WiFi Calling feature. If you need to know anything else then please let me know. :slight_smile:

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?