Question

WiFi Calling only connects when I turn my phone off and on again

• 3 March 2020
  • 5 replies

I live in an area with no mobile signal so when I chose my provider it was very important to have wifi calling for calls and texts so I went with iD Mobile who could provide both.  However  it does not come on automatically and the only way to activate it is to turn my phone on and off and then it stays on for a short while until it drops out again.  I have done all the checks that my phone has the right software etc but nothing seems to make it connect automatically and stay connected.  My wifi signal still shows and is strong but next to it it says No Service.  Any suggestions?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Swanduck,

It’s unfortunate to hear about this WiFi calling issue, it certainly is strange that it will work shortly after rebooting your phone. Which handset are you using, and was the device purchased directly from us?

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I am using an iPhone 6 and no I didn’t get it from you I bought it from Apple.  I just looked at my phone and wifi calling wasn’t working although I had a full wifi signal.  I tried putting it in and out of airplane mode and that seemed to work.   Problem is it doesn’t connect automatically when I have no signal.  It’s not just my wifi at home it is the same wherever I am.

Gail

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Swanduck,

Thanks for that information. Phones not bought directly from ourselves can sometimes have issues with using the WiFi calling feature, but we’ll do everything we can to offer support before we put it down to that factor.

Have you ensured that your phone is running the latest software version? If so, which version of iOS is your phone on?

Ryan

I find it hard to believe that a phone bought directly from Apple would be any different from ones bought from yourselves!  

My software is up to date Version iOS 12.4.5

What I am finding very strange is since turning airplane mode on and then off 21 hours ago my WiFi calling has been working.   This has never worked before but seems to have done the trick for now.  Unless something has been done with my iD account.

Hopefully it will continue to work. I’ll keep you updated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I find it hard to believe that a phone bought directly from Apple would be any different from ones bought from yourselves!  

My software is up to date Version iOS 12.4.5

What I am finding very strange is since turning airplane mode on and then off 21 hours ago my WiFi calling has been working.   This has never worked before but seems to have done the trick for now.  Unless something has been done with my iD account.

Hopefully it will continue to work. I’ll keep you updated.

Hello @Swanduck,

There’s lot’s of factors such as firmware/software versions which can cause all sorts of compatibility problems.

Without getting any more technical though, I am pleased that something as simple as this has fixed the issue!

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?