Solved

WiFi Calling requested for Moto G7+

• 15 February 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Would someone please advise me as to how to get iD Mobile to add the Moto G7+ to it’s supported devices capable of WiFi Calling.

An EE SIM acquired for test purposes, when inserted to the G7+,  gives the option of WiFi Calling in the G7+ settings, so it is clear this feature is supported by the G7+. Therefore the network just needs to allow access to WiFi Calling.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 17 February 2020, 13:52

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @1rms,

A list of our current compatible handsets are found here: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/wifi-calling

This device is not listed on our compatible list.

It appears to now be an End of Line product we won’t be stocking so it’s unlikely we will be adding this to our WiFi Calling compatible phones.

Sorry about that.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your reply Mohammed. So from what you say, WiFi Calling is solely a marketing tool to encourage users to purchase/upgrade to iD Mobile supplied devices.

As we are all aware mobile signal reception (regardless of the 99% population coverage claimed by many providers) is patchy in many areas. In the house where I live I can move from room to room & I can be in other buildings around my local area and the network signal disappears leading to missed calls and SMS. Therefore WiFi Calling should be a basic Network Provider service available to any device that is capable of WiFi Calling, such as the G7+

Further, that Network Providers are able to limit WiFi Calling to specific devices (those devices vary from  network to network) indicates that it is the Network Provider limiting access to WiFi Calling.

In this day and age of “connect to anything anywhere” this is not good enough!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @1rms 

I understand your upset about lack of support for your device. Please, understand that the way WiFi Calling is implemented into the handset is embedded into the specific version of the firmware that the phone is running, therefore iD Mobile is not able to provide it to all of the hundreds of different models that are available on the market. They do their best to expand supported list of devices to the best of their abilities but it's not easy task to get them all supported. Recently they expanded the list and added models like Moto G8 and Pixel 4 to the list where before phones from G series and Pixel devices weren't supported.

Kind Regards

Gregor

Userlevel 1

@Gregor 

I’m afraid I disagree.

My G7+ was purchased SIM FREE and therefore bears no network specific firmware. Please explain why my G7+ showed that WiFi Calling was active when a three or four year old EE SIM (originally obtained for signal reception testing in a Moto G3) was placed in my G7+?

Also Mohammed quoted “End of Line product”. This reason does not hold water either as iPhones as old as 5S are supported. You can’t get much more End of Line than that lol. This is a matter of the Network Provider not flicking the required switch so that when the Network identifies my G7+ sending an network access request to iD Mobile, it allows WiFi Calling if needed. We are becoming more and more aware of the ability of communications providers to interrogate our devices (cookies and all manner of tracking, fingerprinting, web beacons etc.). Something I have known of a few years now through experience and research.

I repeat that WiFi Calling is solely a marketing tool to encourage users to purchase/upgrade to iD Mobile supplied devices.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@Gregor 

In the past I was using Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact which has ability to use WiFi Calling but I bought it from third party retailer as refurbished so this feature did not work for me as wasn't listed as supported device by iD Mobile. I have got it to work though by flashing different version of the software. Originally it was running on "Unlocked" clean Android provided by Sony and that was where WiFi Calling wasn't working for me. Then I started flashing different versions of the system and the one that did the trick for me was "o2" version. That is why I believe "Unlocked" doesn't mean easy to activate and that's why I don't believe this is as easy as toggling the switch somewhere. 

We are not here to argue the subject though, I understand you are upset because your Moto isn't supported, I would be too... But I also understand how things work on the other side of the spectrum as I was working in mobile technology for last 15 years, just recently rebranded to a different sector out of necessity. 

Kind Regards

Gregor

Userlevel 1

@Gregor

I am not here to argue either, I also feel that you are antagonistic in implying that I am upset lol. I am merely stating my case as I believe it with the facts at my disposal.

Thank you for quoting what worked for you in your instance having bought a REFURBISHED phone which you then seemingly ROOTED to enable you to install custom ROM’s.

You have failed to address the points that I specifically made.

My phone was purchased brand new, has the latest updates as far as software goes. It is NOT rooted. Once again I state that an EE SIM installed in my G7+ gives the option of WiFi Calling. Therefore a device which shows WiFi Calling available on one network will work on any network provided that the NETWORK PROVIDER allows it and the device is capable. I state again that iD Mobile only allow WiFi Calling for devices that they supply.

To any other users that may view this thread please note the issue is not solved as Gregor mentioned in another users thread. False information should not be spread when it is not backed up by fact.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @1rms 

@Gregor

I am not here to argue either, I also feel that you are antagonistic in implying that I am upset lol. I am merely stating my case as I believe it with the facts at my disposal.

Thank you for quoting what worked for you in your instance having bought a REFURBISHED phone which you then seemingly ROOTED to enable you to install custom ROM’s.

I have never rooted my phone and I have never installed Custom Rom on it. I have used Flashtool to install official firmware that was made for o2 version of the handset. Then I discovered that this version had WiFi Calling working with iD where Unlocked version didn't. 

You have failed to address the points that I specifically made.

My phone was purchased brand new, has the latest updates as far as software goes. It is NOT rooted. Once again I state that an EE SIM installed in my G7+ gives the option of WiFi Calling. Therefore a device which shows WiFi Calling available on one network will work on any network provided that the NETWORK PROVIDER allows it and the device is capable.

Currently I am using Galaxy Note 10 which is enabled for WiFi Calling and is on the list of compatible devices but I had quite an adventure to make it work as it wasn't working with default firmware although was listed as compatible. Here is the full story if you would like to read it. This very similar situation to yours with the difference that your Moto isn't supported.

I state again that iD Mobile only allow WiFi Calling for devices that they supply.

iD Mobile did not supply my Xperia XZ1 Compact, Note 10 or my girlfriends S10 and I made WiFi Calling to work on all of them.

They also did not supply Pixel 3, Pixel 3a, Xperia L1 and Moto G7 Power but I could not make WiFi Calling to work on these because there was no files or drivers available that I could flash into the firmware. 

To any other users that may view this thread please note the issue is not solved as Gregor mentioned in another users thread. False information should not be spread when it is not backed up by fact.

Its nothing false about the statement that Moto G7+ is not on the list of supported handsets and will not be added due to "end of line product" status.

Userlevel 1

The fundamental point I make (again) is that a device (Moto G7+) which is capable of WiFi calling, and does so on one network (EE) with no change in any software on the device, but not another network (idmobile), proves that access to WiFi calling is a NETWORK PROVIDER controlled option

Most likely the network restricts access to WiFi calling where the device is identified from it's number/IMEI, as being on a database of restricted devices. In the case of idmobile, they provide WiFi calling, BUT only on devices that they sell.

If the phones that network providers sell which allow WiFi calling were the ONLY phones capable of WiFi calling, then different network providers would all be selling an identical WiFi calling capable range of phones. They don't!

You fail to disprove any of that, preferring to indicate your alleged knowledge of how to bypass Network Provider restrictions by rooting/flashing/hacking/replacing part of, or all of the OEM software on a refurbished WiFi capable device in the past. What you did in the past and other information you post is irrelevant to the case in point.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @1rms 

If you were to purchase any phones SIM-Free (from anywhere you liked) that are on the list of supported WiFi Calling devices:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/wifi-calling

They would work without fail.

The Moto G7 is not a phone we officially have supported, the same may well be be for the Three network, who’s service infrastructure we run off of.

It’s certainly not anything to do with us specifically blacklisting IMEI’s.  The idea of that is ludicrous given the sheer number of mobile handsets available throughout the world. 

WiFi calling is an inclusive feature with our network on the phones we officially support it with, it costs no extra, so to specifically stop people from having it makes literally no sense.

Why iD Mobile?