Solved

5G iPhone 12

Userlevel 1

Hi, does anybody know if 5G is enabled for iPhone 12? The iD website gives 2 different answers. When I go into settings on my iPhone it only gives me the option to choose either 4G or 3G, I may have answered my own question but just wanted to make sure I was in the same not as everyone else

cheers!

icon

Best answer by Yanto 30 September 2021, 09:40

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

29 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Did you purchase the Apple iPhone 12 from ID Mobile?

The ID Mobile website does state that 5G is supported (Coverage subject to location).

If you did not purchase the phone from ID Mobile, when did you obtain the SIM card? If it’s an old plan you’re on then 5G might not be enabled on your account.

Userlevel 1

Hi Paul

I bought the contract through Carphone Warehouse on iD in December 2020. My area has 5G coverage was just wondering if I needed to do some kind of update to get 5G enabled or if on iPhone it’s not available yet.

Cheers for the reply

Userlevel 1

PS I got the phone and sim at the same time (December 2020)

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It sounds to like it hasn’t been enabled on your account.

Try speaking to live on the link below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/live-chat

Click on the “Launch live chat” button and enter your information. Once you're connected to the ID Mobile chatbot type the word “Agent” and select “Customer Service” option and you will be connected to a live agent.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just got my supposedly “5G ready” new iD SIM (a SIM only) SIM and I find that my up to date iPhone 12 Pro is only showing the iD signal as 4G.

I installed my id sim in an Android S21 and hay ho 5G

I have since read that iD doesn’t actually currently support 5G on iPhones.

Is this correct? Or is there something a phone user is supposed to do to get their 5G “ready” SIM to actually work with 5G? I have read any tested all iPhone settings to no avail.

Thank you,

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Yanto,

I’ve got an iPhone 12 mini with iD SIM and when I’m in an area that has a good 5G signal, my phone works with 5G.

The iPhone 12 is supported by iD for 5G operation - see the device list here

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for that. 
so iPhone 12 will work on 5G

But mine does not connect but all settings correct and sim has 5G enabled as put in another phone and had 5G. So now I’m lost.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Yanto, what iOS version are you using?

Also, did you get a new (supposedly) 5G ready SIM from iD? 

This next thing ​​​​​will sound pretty basic, but​ have you tried removing the SIM card and powering down your iPhone 12 Pro for at least 30 minutes?

Although it might sound basic, doing this can often fix issues with newly activated SIM cards.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Yanto 

All of our SIM cards are 5G ready, so that shouldn’t be the issue here. Have you tried the SIM of another network in the handset to see if that gets 5G?

Will

Userlevel 1
Badge

I know it’s not the SIM card as I put it in an android phone and had 5G but will try to remove sim and power down for 30min.

I will message back with results.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @Yanto, I hope that helps and I’ll see if I can screen-shot 5G reception on my device. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sim out of phone, phone off for 30min sill no 5G

lost…….

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Yanto,

Have you seen a section called ‘Profiles’ within the settings of your iPhone? If another network’s SIM card has been used with the iPhone (just a thought, not sure if you have) then the phone may have set up it’s own profile for that SIM card. Please remove any profiles if you see some there and then restart the handset to see if it helps.

You can also try to reset the network settings by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Also, please ensure the network type is still set to 5G.

Additionally, have you tried to use 5G with the iPhone when in another location? The iPhone may not be picking up the 5G signal as strongly as the Samsung phone does due to the difference in hardware.

Ryan

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Interesting @Ryan - the whereabouts of these “Profiles” is not obvious.
Does this setting option only exist if you’ve used another or multiple SIM cards from different network operators in your iPhone?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @andewhite,

Yes, the setting will only appear if the network SIM card has set it up automatically. They tend to be mainly used within businesses when they want to install specific settings/apps across multiple devices. You can read more here.

Having an old network profile in the phone settings can also cause data whilst roaming not to work. Deleting them seems to do the trick in fixing it though.

Ryan

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok reset network settings 

still no 5G

next options please as can’t find profiles

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello again @Yanto,

Here’s a series of screen-shots of settings on my iPhone 12 (that works with 5G):

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

My device is also using iOS 14.7.1 - good luck!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for the screenshots and the effort you put in helping me. I’m have same settings as you apart from data roaming on.

*still no 5G*

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Does 5G work if you toggle Data Roaming OFF?
Be awesome if such a tiny change got your iPhone’s 5G working… fingers crossed.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Yanto, it could be that Data Roaming setting is key to this problem.

Item/tip (8) at https://iphonegeeks.com/5g-not-working-on-iphone-12-pro-fix/ is all about why 5G won’t work with Data Roaming ON - who knows, they might be right :) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Maybe, but the Android S21 works (5G) with my id sim with roaming on.

Why iD Mobile?