Dead zones

• 9 September 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2

I'm noticing more and more dead zones where calls drop. For instance, the A34 from Winchester to Newbury I could be on a call all the way, no problem. For the last few months I can pinpoint exactly where my call will drop and that's about 4 places. Lots of other places I never had any trouble with have now become dead zones. This is the exact reason I left 02 and now ID is becoming the same. Anyone else notice dead zones that never used to be?

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @AndyLB,

It’s possible these are areas that just struggle with coverage due to the masts providing it.

iD Mobile uses 3 UK’s masts for coverage but this can vary for each area.

What’s the full postcode of the area where you’re having these issues?

Mohammed

Userlevel 2

Far too many postcodes to mention. Annoying thing is, I left O2 for the same problems. I guess the majority of people are stationary when using their phones or at least only in their local mast area. Most of my calls are on the move through many masts mainly with no problem but when previously good areas suddenly become permanent dead zones it's really annoying. I can now pinpoint to the exact spot on many roads, where a call will drop. Unfortunately if it doesn't change back to the excellent coverage it used to be I'll have to change network again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @AndyLB,

I’m sorry to hear that.

No network is without deadspots, as it’s impossible to cover 100% of the UK with 100% coverage at all times. There would need to be hundreds of masts town alone to ensure full coverage this way.

Masts reach up to a set distance and areas that fall on the outskirts from one mast as well as outskirts to another can often fall into a deadspot.

There are of course other factors that affect this also, but just a general idea.

Mohammed

Userlevel 2

Not really getting the question answered. I'm fully aware all networks have dead spots but the annoying thing is, dead spots are now appearing where it's previously been a good signal. There must be a reason for that happening. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Oh I imagine there will be @AndyLB,

But without any postcodes whatsoever being provided, it’s difficult to advise any specifics for you. I see you’ve mentioned that it’s too many postcodes affected to mention, if you could provide just the one maybe, we can start there if you like?

Will

Userlevel 2

A34, Winchester SO21 3EY

That's one postcode. Calls drop here now but never used too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Cheers @AndyLB,

I can see some congestion in that area which will likely be caused by maintenance on a neighboring mast. Are the other area affected within the same sort of area?

Also, are you driving passed through this area at high speeds when this happens? If so, the combination of congestion with local masts, and your phone establishing connections to a different mast at the same time could be what’s causing the issue at this particular area.

Cheers,

Will

Userlevel 2

Maintenance on a mast for 6 months? High speed? no, UK trucks are limited to 56mph.            

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @AndyLB,

Chances are the maintenance hasn’t been going on for 6 months, but if there has been an issue for a while, it would explain why we are performing maintenance now.

If you’re going through an area at that speed (or any really in a vehicle) and their is existing congestion and maintenance, whilst your handset is trying to connect to a different mast, then a drop in signal can occur. Probably the same reason it happened to you on o2.

So how long is it you’ve been with us now? How long was it fine before this 6 month issue began?

Will

Why iD Mobile?