Question

Good Signal but Very slow speeds

• 7 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi,

i recently brought an id  mobile contract a few months ago and signal is ok, but 4g speeds have been slow to the point where nothing loads and if it does it’s partially loaded and unusable.

Its on a brand new iPhone 12 Mini. I also have a three sim on my other device and don’t experience the same issues. Vodafone and EE work fine on other devices within the family so what’s the issue here?

Postcode is HA7 3NY if that helps.

Cheers

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @tomx,

I know from my own experience ,with an iPhone 12 on iD, if the cell you’re using is very busy the 4G service becomes very sluggish with lots of lag and latency.

The coverage checker at http://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support, reports this about 4G at your post code:

4G coverage in HA7 3NY

Very good service.

Great news. You can use the internet in most instances on our 4G network. Just so you know, indoor signal strength may vary. Enter your phone in the 4G compatibility checker. If it's not compatible, check out our 4G phones.

How does your iPhone perform when you use the Vodafone SIM or EE SIM of a family member in your device?

If you’re at home, can use use Wi-Fi?

Hello @tomx,

I know from my own experience ,with an iPhone 12 on iD, if the cell you’re using is very busy the 4G service becomes very sluggish with lots of lag and latency.

The coverage checker at http://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support, reports this about 4G at your post code:

4G coverage in HA7 3NY

Very good service.

Great news. You can use the internet in most instances on our 4G network. Just so you know, indoor signal strength may vary. Enter your phone in the 4G compatibility checker. If it's not compatible, check out our 4G phones.

How does your iPhone perform when you use the Vodafone SIM or EE SIM of a family member in your device?

If you’re at home, can use use Wi-Fi?

hi, ive ran some speed tests, all phones and networks in the exact same place near a window.

EE: 24mbps

Vodafone: 10.16mbps

3 (not iD): 8.82mbps

iD: Failed the first 2 times, third time was 0.06mbps.

Speeds stay the same no matter what device the sim is used.

I can use WiFi at home, but it’s super temperamental and unreliable (bit like iD right now) so the point of having unlimited data on the plan was so that when my home broadband was interrupted i’d switch to 4g and continue what i was doing then. It wouldn’t be for gaming or anything like that, purely using for video streaming mainly. However the WiFi would resolve itself after about 10 minutes so i would only ever use it for that much at home maybe 5 times a week let’s say?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay thanks @tomx,

So using your iPhone 12 mini, with each of the 4 different SIM cards, at the same location inside your home, the download speeds were as follows:

Device SIM Provider Speedtest
iPhone 12 EE 24.00 Mbps
  Vodafone 10.16 Mbps
  Three UK  8.82 Mbps
  iD 0.06 Mbps

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If the above is correct, then it looks like there’s something very odd going on with the iD MVNO service at your location - perhaps the tech boffins at iD can explain these results, especially the discrepancy between results for iD SIM and Three UK SIM when used in the same device in the same location.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @tomx,

It is strange to see the difference between the speed tests done on our network and on Three. We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

Ryan

Why iD Mobile?