Question

How can 4G Voice Calling improve 4G data reception?

Sorry - should have typed “4G data reception” above!

Your coverage checker shows no 4G coverage for the postcode SA33 5EX. However, if I tick “I have a 4G Voice Calling compatible phone”, this changes to “Excellent 4G coverage”, saying I should be able to use the internet. How can this be? My understanging of 4G Voice Calling, (voLTE) is that is uses the 4G signal to carry voice, so if there is no 4G coverage to start with, how could the phone make a difference?

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @grahamplondon,

No worries, I have corrected the title for you.

The “I have a 4G Voice Calling compatible phone” option changes the coverage checker slightly, as it then checks what your voice coverage is likely to be. VoLTE works differently to the signal/coverage used for 4G/LTE data which is why VoLTE may work in areas where 4G data is not available.

Ryan

OK, thanks Ryan. In that area my (non-voLTE) phone says it’s only getting 3G (H), but my friend who has a voLTE compatible phone swears it was reporting 4G when he was there.

Would he only be getting 3G data speeds, or is it possible that 4G data did work for him as a bit of a fluke?

I’m trying to work out if I would get better data rates for tethering by changing to a voLTE phone. It seems unlikely.

Best

Graham

PS. If it’s only voice coverage that improves with a voLTE phone - as I suspect - perhaps the Coverage Checker page is a little misleading??

G

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @grahamplondon 

Just to clarify, was your friend on either iD Mobile or Three?  As other networks could potentially support 4G depending on the masts they have close by?

Could we get the postcode for the area you’re looking at in question?  Our Coverage Checker is the same as Three’s so the information we have would come from the reports they have based on their mast’s around the UK. 

Yes, my friend was on ID mobile - he’s now saying he was “sure he was on 4G” because of the excellent speeds he was getting when streaming video and downloading. But he can’t be sure the phone actually showed a 4G symbol.

I’m on Three which definitely only shows 3G or H.

Postcode is SA33 5EX

Yes, Three’s coverage checker also switches from “no 4G coverage” to “Excellent 4G coverage” when you enter a voLTE compatible device. They, however, don’t mention using the internet or data at that point.

Regards

Graham

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi again @grahamplondon 

Having looked into the postcode, it does seem that since at least June there has been an outage of the 4G side.  

In the early hours of this morning an issue was briefly flagged regarding the 3G side, though this may have passed now.

What we’ll do is we’ll send you a private message here now.  We’ll take a few further details and then ask our Tech Team if they can find out anymore from Three for you regarding when the 4G side should make an improvement there.

Hi Kevin

I am the friend reffered to in the above email.

I have an ID account and I am very interested if 4G is now back up and running at SA33 5EX.

If so, it means

1. I can work down there
  2. grahamplondon will almost certainly get an ID account 

Many thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @aztecboy, things still aren’t looking positive for 4G reception in that area as of this morning sorry. You can keep an eye on it yourself through our coverage checker by clicking here.

Cheers.

Will

Hi Will
Thanks for getting back.
Kevin suggested it was an outage, does this mean it is scheduled to be fixed?
Many thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @aztecboy 

The 4G aspect is still facing an unplanned outage currently, and we don’t seem to have a date yet from when Three are hoping to improve things there.

We’ll send you a private message though here, we’ll take some further details from you and open a ticket on your account so we can find out more for you and more easily keep you updated on the SA33 5EX area.

Brilliant Kevin
What details do you need from me?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @aztecboy,

You should have received a private message from our Support Team, please take a look and respond to our message there. 🙂

Thank you,
Ryan

Why iD Mobile?