Solved

London Underground WiFi

Userlevel 1
Does iD work with Virgin Media WiFi at London Underground?
icon

Best answer by Isaac 22 April 2018, 23:51

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 1
Hey Kai,

You can use Virgin media WiFi on the London Underground for free only if you're a customer of Virgin Media. Otherwise you have to purchase a WiFi pass
Userlevel 1
That's disappointing. At least with giffgaff, we can use Virgin Media Wifi as O2 customers. 😞
Userlevel 4
Yeah with Vodafone we had an allowance on VM's tube network too.

It wasn't great as the tube is always moving and you'll be at a stop for a couple of seconds, so I can't even see the point of it until there is actual connectivity on the actual train.
Userlevel 1
Yeah with Vodafone we had an allowance on VM's tube network too.

It wasn't great as the tube is always moving and you'll be at a stop for a couple of seconds, so I can't even see the point of it until there is actual connectivity on the actual train.

I am sure many would appreciate internet connectivity even just for a few seconds, say, updating your friends of your current (tube station) location instead of going out of the station which is super inconvenient and not possible as that will cause delay. Going fully offline for entire 30-minute tube ride is troublesome.

@Mohammed or any other iD staff, is there any plan for this?
Userlevel 1
Oh yes, I hadn't thought about this Not being available.
Just switched over this weekend and already having issues with this.

Any timeline on this ID staff?
Userlevel 1

I kinda regret switching to iD now after knowing this service is not available for iD customers. Now I feel the benefit of having giffgaff. Being offline for the whole journey without being able to update my location or quickly check things is a pain.
Userlevel 1

I kinda regret switching to iD now after knowing this service is not available for iD customers. Now I feel the benefit of having giffgaff. Being offline for the whole journey without being able to update my location or quickly check things is a pain.

Yes, I know what you mean and this would be a show stopper for me to.
Let hope someone from ID answerrs quikcly and with very good news (they realy should as everyone is used to having at least some connection on the tube now)

*Keeping fingers crossed*
Userlevel 1

Yes, I know what you mean and this would be a show stopper for me to.
Let hope someone from ID answerrs quikcly and with very good news (they realy should as everyone is used to having at least some connection on the tube now)

*Keeping fingers crossed*

I spoke to them on live chat and it appears that they don't plan to support this. Kinda disappointed, maybe I will switch back to giffgaff after a month or so. 😞
Userlevel 1
Thanks for that udpate Kai.
Seems like my IDmobile adventure may be short-lived as well in that case.
Hi ID Mobile guys, any update to this please? Is it in the pipeline (excuse the pun)? I understand that ID uses the three network, and Three is available via virgin wifi so be good to know if this is on the roadmap. It's a bit of a dealbreaker for me too I'm afraid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hi ID Mobile guys, any update to this please? Is it in the pipeline (excuse the pun)? I understand that ID uses the three network, and Three is available via virgin wifi so be good to know if this is on the roadmap. It's a bit of a dealbreaker for me too I'm afraid.

Hey @gr3len,

Unfortunately not.

It's something we don't currently support and I don't have any updates to provide sadly!

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
I'm now visiting London more frequently and this is going to be a deal-breaker for me too unfortunately. I like the ID model but when other MVNOs can offer WiFi access it seems very shortsighted for ID not to do the same.
I've just switched to ID mobile also and this is a deal breaker for me. I had no idea they didn't offer this service, which seemingly every other mainstream provider does. It's just not practicable not to be able to send quick update status messages from the tube. Extremely disappointing
If it helps, I'm looking to switch provider and the first thing I search is this exact question.
So Bye ID.. I won't be going with you.

At least have the decency to say why you are not thinking about supporting this?
Companies are so non-transparant these days...
If it costs extra money, why not ask 50p or a pound extra to supply the service?
Would still make me want to switch, but now you're on my no-go list and I dont think that's the purpose of running a bussiness?

I'm also pretty sure it costs you money to provide a free sim, if people switch after just 1 month... have you really made a profit?

Why iD Mobile?