Question

Phone signal

• 27 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I use a Pixel 3 (so no Wifi calling sadly) and the phone signal I receive is of late particularly bad.  I can usually hear the other person, but sometimes my voice is completely inaudible.  This happens mainly in my house.

Things appear slightly better with bluetooth turned off, but that’s not always the case.

I live in south-east London, and my partner who is on Three doesn’t have any of these problems.

Please help.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @ChrisNeill 

Does your partner have WiFi calling enabled with their phone?  If not, it really should be a match in regards to the signal you’re receiving if they are on Three.

If you pop your SIM into their phone, do you notice an improvement in signal there?  If so, that could indicate the Pixel 3 might be problematic for signal.  If so, and it’s under warranty you could potentially have it sent off to Google to have it looked at.

Could we get your full postcode just to take a look into any coverage issues of late which could be impacting things?

Had things been fine prior to the last few months or so?

Userlevel 1

Thanks for getting back to me.

He does have wifi calling enabled, but in a test yesterday we turned it off and calls worked perfectly well without it.  It’s just a back up.  

My phone is now out of warranty.

My postcode is SE22 9BG, and I would say the phone signal has been deteriorating for about a month now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @ChrisNeill,

Checking the postcode on our mast checker I can see the local 3G mast is fine but there’s a neighbouring mast that’s got some planned work on the 26th that should have completed later that day.

For 4G a mast has been down since the 3rd December 2020 which could be the culprit. This is a neighbouring mast.

The local 4G mast has had some unplanned outage as well as some planned work recently. But the most recent started on the 26th January 2021.

Please try switching to 3G only to see if this improves.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Thank you.

Would these mast problems affect the quality of phone signal as well as 4g?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @ChrisNeill 

The 4G ones are the ones that seem to be affected here, so switching to 3G only may help since the 3G masts aren’t impacted.

When you connect to a mast that’s got service issues, this can then affect the signal as well as quality.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?