Solved

Poor internet connection

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Around a month ago I was having internet connection problems with my SIM which is a 30 day SIM only unlimited data, texts & phone. You sent me a new SIM & all was fine until yesterday & I am having the same problem which really is not good enough. I am tethering my TV & everything is buffering or pausing. I was on chat yesterday & here was the advice give:

our chat transcript

4 Aug at 20:04PrintRaw messagephoto?spsize=80X80&fallback_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fdh%2Fap%2Fsocial%2Fprofile%2Fprofile_a64.png&alphatar_photo=true&appId=YMailNorrin&format=imageID Mobile Service Chat <noreply@idmobile.co.uk>To: Les <valesmurkitt@yahoo.co.uk>The following is a record of your online chat.

General Info
Chat start time  Tue, 4 Aug 2020 19:44:46 +0100 GMT
Chat end time  Tue, 4 Aug 2020 20:03:24 +0100 GMT
Duration (actual chatting time)  00:18:37
Operator  Christopher De Bliquy

Chat Transcript
Info: We've received your chat request. An agent will be with you shortly.
Info: All our agents are busy helping other customers. Your estimated waiting time is 9 minutes and 14 seconds.  Thanks for your patience.
Info: All our agents are busy helping other customers. Your estimated waiting time is 7 minutes and 11 seconds.  Thanks for your patience.
Info: All our agents are busy helping other customers. Your estimated waiting time is 3 minutes and 31 seconds.  Thanks for your patience.
Info: You're chatting with Christopher De Bliquy.
Info:
Christopher De Bliquy: Hi Les, how may I help you?
Les: Internet running very slow today postcode DN110YU are there any problems recently had a replacement SIM for the same reason.
Les: Where on idmobile can I finf coverage check
Christopher De Bliquy: Thank you for contacting us Les, and I am so sorry you are having issues with your internet. Would you please confirm if this was consistent or did it work at times?
Les: Only began today but all day including now
Les: I am tethering my TV & every thing is buffering my mobile is slow
Christopher De Bliquy: Thank you for confirming this Les. I can confirm there was an availability alarm in your area today, however this has been resolved. Might I suggest turning off the device that has your SIM inserted, then remove and reinsert the SIM before restarting that device, and give this a few minutes? I can confirm after there is network works happening that these few steps help to get your service back to its normal state.
Les: I will give it a go
Christopher De Bliquy: Is there any other information I can help with while I have you Les?
Les: No thanks have a good evening
Christopher De Bliquy: Thanks for chatting!!
There is a short survey that will follow this chat, just to rate my service to you today. If you would kindly fill that in, stay safe and have a lovely day further!

Info: Thanks for chatting with us.

It didn’t work still having connection problems today?

icon

Best answer by Ryan 10 August 2020, 13:50

View original

32 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @lesallen45,

We’re sorry to hear that you’re experiencing issues when tethering your devices; does the data connection seem fine on the phone itself when you are not using it as a personal hotspot?

Ryan

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Ryan, No it is not. Yesterday evening I could not view iTVhub at all or My 5. I have been in communication with itvhub & they indicate date speed. A speed test was performed last night results being: 42ms - Download 5.6 Mbps - Upload 1.4 Mbps.

Again this morning at around 5:30 am 135ms - download 9.1 Mbps - upload 1.4 Mbps the upload seems constant at 1.4. Up until yesterday I have no idea what speeds were but I was not having problems. Itvhub have said that the speeds are too low & until they are increased they cannot help. My last problems were a month ago.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

How long have you had the SIM card for @lesallen45? Have you changed tariff or upgraded recently?

Will

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I believe it was delivered around July 10th 2020 that’s what the invoice says. Tariff is exactly the same Unlimited data, texts & calls.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

And are these speeds everywhere, or just a specific postcode @lesallen45 ?

Will

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

No idea on that. I only use my phone for internet at home DN110YU..

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

What is the make and model of the device it’s being used in @lesallen45? Have you tried another SIM in the device to see how that behaves?

Will

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My mobile is Huawei Y9 2019. I have not tried any other SIM. I joined idmobile around mid May on this same deal. one month from May to mid June no problems with anything. Then June to July around same time

Around 6th July started with slow connections & browsing.

July 7th lost connection 2 hours afternoon.

July 8th lost connection 7-9:00 am (2 hours).

July 9th, 10th & 11th periodic connections.

Following a session on iDmobile Chat my SIM was replaced no more problems until yesterday. Around 5:00 pm today my wife watched a program on All4 no problems but following that iTVHub nothing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @lesallen45,

Thanks for clarifying that for us.

Can you please confirm your full postcode so we can check the postcode affected and see if there are any mast issues in the area?

Mohammed

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Postcode DN11OYU

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

There doesn’t appear to be an outage from what I can see @lesallen45. How many bars of signal are showing? Are calls and texts affected?

Will

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Calls & TEXTS OK. Internet connection on phone OK for general browsing but not to use online TV i.e itvhub, My 5 etc. Bars  1.5

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

There doesn’t appear to be an outage from what I can see @lesallen45. How many bars of signal are showing? Are calls and texts affected?

Will

I feel that ID mobile are reducing my data connection speed. Today I was in communication with a different company who are offering unlimited.. I was told that if I over used the unlimited my account could be suspended. What does that tell me…. Obviously unlimited has certain restrictions with some companies..

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just to let you know that yesterday my connections came good again but slow today nevertheless it’s working.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Keep us posted on how things get on @lesallen45 

If need be we’ll take a further look.  Hopefully things will continue to improve from now though.

Take care.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well that was short lived back to normal. However I have always had a second SIM on pay as you go with Virgin that I use when traveling back from long stays overseas. So with the continued problems I decided to switch over at a cost of GBP2.00 per days & guess what it worked instantly no buffering or stopping. So the problem is either your SIM or coverage without a doubt this proves it. So what can be done about it?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @lesallen45,

I’ve taken another look at the coverage in your area, and there are a number of masts present which range from offering Excellent to Good coverage outdoors and Good to Limited coverage indoors so that could be the reason why you see the varied speeds and given that Virgin uses a different parent network to ourselves, your issue seems to be data speed coverage related.

There is still a data connection there as you have explained, however, but the speeds that your desired app requires may mean that the app will have trouble being used with our data connection I’m afraid and we can’t guarantee that all apps with work on our network, especially some heavy bandwidth ones.

Ryan

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you Ryan however is it pure coincidence that this happened within a day of last months interruptions. Also iTV Hub suggested that the internet connection speeds were too low. Other thing is that it was spot on for let’s say 3 weeks out of 4 then suddenly it drops same time in July & August & still is not so good today. Slow browsing & All 4 TV connects but itvhub does. Toady at 1:00 pm my bars are fluctuating between 1 & 2 bars but more often only 1 bar. If this cannot be improved then I must consider changing providers. Normally w are only in UK for around 3 weeks every 6 months so the only way that I can get internet is via mobile SIM deal. Unfortunately due to Coronavirus we are stuck here hoping to be able to travel again soon. So I don’t want to be committing to a 12/18/24 month plan for internet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@lesallen45,

Does the signal improve in different areas of the house or outside the home?

It may be worth checking your 4G and 3G coverage in your network settings and switching to 3G only if you are currently getting weak coverage on 4G.

Let us know how you get on and we can advise you further.

Kash

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Kash, thanks for that info I have switched 4G off & just trying all TV Channels which seem to be working & much clearer picture. Fingers crossed. Why did no one else figure it out? I have been ar in circles with this. Why would 3GWork better. Just started buffering a bit on TV play.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @lesallen45,

Glad to hear that.

In regards to why no one else figured it out, coverage problems don’t usually have a universal fix.

There are many different fixes and it’s a case of some will work for some, and others may not.

In this case, the issue was 4G being weak in the area and 3G much stronger.

Mohammed

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks Mohammed…

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Glad we could help @lesallen45.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Will

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We had a little bit of buffering last night on UKTVplay but otherwise OK. Touch wood..

Thanks again,

I too am getting the same problem as Les, and yes I’ve been through all the swapping sims,  dropping down to 3G and turning 4G off tried it inside and outside the house however no difference just constant buffering I have an iPhone 6,  Calls work fine but internet is appalling.  Streaming I don’t bother anymore I simply go to somewhere that has a hardwired Wi-Fi point and download from there. As this is my first month with ID mobile I opted for the Unlimited data option but have only managed to use 17 GB and the best time I get decent download speeds is between 1 am and 6 am however as you can understand I’m not able to stay awake all night and then get up in the morning so I’ve stopped bothering my postcod 17 GB and the best time I get decent download speeds is between 1 am and 6 am however as you can understand I’m not able to stay awake all night and then get up in the morning so I’ve stopped bothering.  My postcode is YO16 6XY Which on Internet states it’s a good area for coverage both 4G and 3G.  I only transferred from my previous provider as I was told your network provided a rollover for data which I find pointless as I’ve still got almost 73 GB left on my plan  

Why iD Mobile?