Solved

RCS Messaging - Android

So I received my new Oppo X2 Pro last week and got all set up with my number transferred across. Yet message s were still coming through on my old phone. I discovered that in the messages app, in settings under chat features I had chat features enabled which says use WiFi or data for messaging where available. I have disabled it on my old phone, but my new phone is sat saying it needs to verify my number. Any idea why this isn't working? It's been trying to verify all day with no luck.

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 31 August 2021, 12:39

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Paul Williams,

Have you tried contacting Google regarding the Android Messaging app not verifying?

I know I had a similar issue and it just wouldn’t verify but somehow was pushed through from their end.

It may work but it could have been specific to my own case.

Sometimes it just fixes itself as it takes some time to fully complete the verification of your number.

Try restarting your handset to see if this helps and if that fails, try putting the SIM in an older phone and verifying it with the SIM that way?

Mohammed

Hey,

I've tried following Google's help, but no luck. I wasn't able to speak with anyone to see if they could push it through their end. It's only automated responses.

Restarting didn't help.

I'm wondering, as the SIM originally had a different number is that causing issues. My SMSC number shows the original SIM phone number, and I think that could be confusing it. However I am able to send SMS so don't want to mess about with it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello Paul,

The SMSC number would usually be +447782000800 so I wouldn’t change this.

This affects sending texts and I don’t think this would tie into RCS messaging.

Try uninstalling and re-installing Android messages if you can and see if you can follow the set-up steps again.

Mohammed

Hi Mohammed,

I've done some investigating and it seems that ID Mobile doesn't support these Google chat features? I went into debug mode and it says it is not set up for the carrier. Screenshot below.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Paul Williams,

Thanks for confirming that. I’ll have to double check and get back to you. 

I’ll let you know here once I have an answer.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Try using the form linked to below to de-register your number on Google’s side.

https://messages.google.com/disable-chat

Wait an hour or two and try enabling it again on the new handset and see if it verifies this time round.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Paul Williams,

Still waiting to hear back on the RCS messaging side of things but I’ll let you know once I get an answer.

The Oppo X2 Pro isn’t a supported handset (one we’ve tested and confirmed as fully working) for our network so this could be why this is happening also.

@WelshPaul  do you have RCS messaging working on your phone? If you do then I take it the feature is supported and it’ll be down to the phone needing to be unregistered properly or due to it being unsupported.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

@WelshPaul  do you have RCS messaging working on your phone? If you do then I take it the feature is supported and it’ll be down to the phone needing to be unregistered properly or due to it being unsupported.

I use Samsung Messaging and have enabled RCS on that app but I’m a Vodafone Pay Monthly customer/user. Both my ID Mobile sims are used by my children and they do not have RCS enabled on their devices.

I have deregistered my device, left it a day and tried to verify. Still no joy. 

Sounds like it's the handset as I'm sure if the network didn't support the feature there would be a lot more posts in the forum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Paul Williams,

Still not heard back but it’s likely to be the case.

If I do hear otherwise, I’ll let you know here, but it would likely be due to the device not being officially supported.

Mohammed

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I use Samsung Messaging and have enabled RCS on that app but I’m a Vodafone Pay Monthly customer/user. Both my ID Mobile sims are used by my children and they do not have RCS enabled on their devices.

Thanks for clarifying @WelshPaul :)

Mohammed

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Paul Williams,

We’ve not forgotten about this.

We’re still waiting for an update from Three UK to confirm.

The person who deals with the requests is currently out of office and Three UK have apologised for the delay.

We’re hoping to get a reply by next week.

Mohammed

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Paul Williams ,

The Team have confirmed RCS messaging is supported.

In this case, as the handset is not on our supported lists, this may be why you are facing issues.

Mohammed

Hi Mohammed,

I'm pleased to say it is actually now showing as connected, just took several weeks. Might be something to do with the previous network or that I've had my first iD bill.

Thanks for your time

Paul

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Paul Williams,

Thank you so much for that update, it’s greatly appreciated, and we’ll be sure to feedback your findings.

Take care, and please let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Will

Why iD Mobile?