Solved

Viewing SMS over wi-fi?

• 7 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Is there any way to access text messages via WiFi, rather than over a mobile network? I am in Australia and have kept my phone in flight mode to avoid receiving international calls while I'm here. However, I now need to receive a text message, but don't really want to come out of flight mode. Any advice, please? Thanks. MLS
icon

Best answer by Mohammed 7 August 2018, 13:46

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hey @MLS,

It's only possible to receive SMS messages if you're not in flight mode as you need to be connected to a network.

You can try messaging apps as an alternative such as Whatsapp?

This can be accessed over WiFi and does not require a mobile network (besides the initial registration of it).

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Thanks, Mohammed. I needed to receive a code from my bank, which had to be by SMS, not WhatsApp. All sorted now, but the answer seems to be that there is no way to access SMS messages without a network connection as all the apps that let you read texts via laptops need the phone to be connected anyway! MLS
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Howdy @MLS, does your bank have any other means to send you security codes out (email)?

If not, hopefully in future they may adopt messages that use iMessage or Android Messages to deliver things in a way that you don't need to be connected to a carrier network in order to get these things.

Kevin
Userlevel 1
Howdy @MLS, does your bank have any other means to send you security codes out (email) Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. I think it's a security measure ensuring I have my phone to prove my ID, rather than another method that can be easily intercepted. MLS
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Ah for sure. Good point there @MLS

Why iD Mobile?