Solved

Voicemail notification alert

• 1 December 2021
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1

Afternoon all.

Does the iD mobile network issue voicemail alert notifications when a message is left?

I ported over to iD from EE a good few months ago and it only recently became apparent that when I receive a voicemail my phone (Android) doesn’t notify me.  A follow-up chat session today saw an agent tell me iD do not have this alert service.  Is this true?

SMS text alerts work fine if I enable this.  It’s not a problem per se, just a bit odd and unexpected.  A chat session yesterday saw an agent create a ticket for me to have the porting-in checked, and swiftly closed as the port work was deemed all good.  I had a ticket raised after reading another forum post with the same problem, where someone from iD had suggested it.

Just curious.  I don’t get many calls so not many messages, so it’s not a problem as such.

Jonty.

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 23 May 2022, 07:38

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

18 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Jonty Soper,

Welcome to the iD community.

I’ve got voicemail activated on my iD pay monthly plan and get SMS alerts when there’s a new voicemail.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Andewhite.

Out of interest, do you also get the standard voicemail icon/alert?  I too can get the SMS alerts but whether I turn that feature on or off, the phone’s voicemail icon/alert is never triggered.

I kept my original post shorter than I wanted else it was going to be very long!  My wife has an out-the-box iD phone and all voicemail settings are the same.  I also have a spare 3 SIM and when I leave a voicemail, the icon/alert will show up.  When I was with EE all was okay but not since I ported my number to iD.

Cheers.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Jonty Soper, I’ve not noticed a voicemail status icon on my iPhone, but do vaguely remember seeing one when I used an Android device.

Perhaps it’s not displayed because iD are an MVNO - whereas three (3) and EE are MNO companies.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Jonty Soper,

Could I please ask what handset you’re using please?

Will

Userlevel 1

Hi Will.

Thanks for getting in touch.  I have a Samsung A70 and my wife has a Samsung A51.

But, since I posted this I’ve discovered my wife does NOT get the Android voicemail icon alert either.  I’m sure she had mentioned she did but upon checking she does not - but does get the SMS alert when a message is deposited.

Wife wasn’t keen to mess with her voice/mailbox settings so just going to leave as-is.  If I get to the root of this then great but if not, it really isn’t a problem.

Jonty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Jonty Soper,

Have you checked your settings and notification settings to check if you have them enabled?

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi Kash,

I have indeed - have trawled through all  the various notification - and phone/voicemail - settings as a just in case.  I had the voicemail notification when I was with EE (I ported to iD from them).  I get the voicemail notification with a spare 3 SIM I have.  I just don’t get the alert with iD.

Odd.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Jonty Soper ,

Have you contacted our Live Chat Team regarding this?

If not we can raise a ticket here with out Tech Team.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Hi Kash.

I have indeed contacted the iD Live Chat team - twice.  My original chat was to ask if a ticket could be raised to have the porting-in checked - as another thread exists with the same issue, and an iD forum member/employee had suggested this.  This ticket was closed with no info provided to me, but my second chat saw me being told the porting-in was successful.  I was also told that iD doesn’t use the voicemail alert notification - hence why I created this thread to seek what people knew.

If you’re able to get a ticket raised for me that would be appreciated.  All the detail is in this thread.

Jonty.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Jonty Soper,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Will

Userlevel 1

Cheers Will.  Have responded to your message.  Absolutely no rush with this.  It’s just an odd thing, that’s all.

Jonty.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Jonty Soper,

Thank you. I have since replied to your message and we’ll be sure to remain in contact via Private Message to get to the bottom of this for you.

Ryan

Did you ever get an answer to the question of does IDmobile support voicemail alerts / icon or is SMS text alerts the only option?

My situation is nearly identical. It worked fine on EE and Vodafone.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Did you ever get an answer to the question of does IDmobile support voicemail alerts / icon or is SMS text alerts the only option?

My situation is nearly identical. It worked fine on EE and Vodafone.

All the mobile network operators seem to handle this differently.

For iD Mobile, their voice mail service is provided by their network partner three.

Perhaps, because iD are an MVNO, and not an MNO (like EE and Vodafone), an SMS alert about voicemail is the only option.

Perhaps @Jonty Soper knows otherwise?

I don’t think being an MVNO in and of itself would be an issue.

When I was with Virgin and Plusnet both MVNOs they went the other way.

They both used voicemail alert notifications but didn’t support sms alerts for voicemail.

I vaguely recall my experience with 02 and Tesco mobile (another MVNO) being similar.

I can’t recall how Three did things.

It could be that’s just ID mobiles preferred technology which would be a shame as that is not my preference 

Userlevel 1

OP here.

In the end I left this as not being able to receive VM notification alerts.  I get the SMS alerts so something at least.

Having been with other MVNOs, I found (find!) it odd that iD cannot send me an OS system alert - and to make matters worse seem to be confused and unable to confirm - themselves - what they can and cannot do.

Ho hum!

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Voicemail notifications on the iD Mobile network are definitely text based only. It's the same with SMARTY (another MVNO owned by Three and uses the Three network).

Userlevel 1

Hi WP,

Useful to know - at least just for the sanity!  Pity ID’s own Tech Support could not confirm.

Cheers!

Why iD Mobile?