108 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

This article has been updated with new devices 31/08/21

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Ryan ,

That explains it perfectly - thank you. In that case, can I please ask:

I’ve recently signed up to idmobile hoping that I would be able to use VoLTE on my LG G5. When I force my phone to use “LTE only” (by using the menu available under *#*#4636#*#*), the phone successfully connects using 4G. The “VoLTE Provisioned” switch is showing on “On”, the “Voice Network Type” shows “LTE” and the “Data Network Type” shows “LTE”, but the “IMS Service Status” menu option shows:

IMS Status

IMS Registration: Not registered

Voice over LTE: Unavailable

Do you know whether this is likely to be a problem on my end (device) or on your end (carrier), and whether there is anything that I can do to fix it? TIA, Jaime

Hey @jaimet,

If I understood correctly, you’re forcing the device to connect to 4G/LTE calling and that works fine for making calls over 4G but it simply says it’s not available?

Or is it saying it’s connected but in fact it’s not connected and you can’t make 4G calls?

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello there @nrsp, great post!

Interesting to note that iD support Wi-Fi Calling on a number of devices, which are NOT apparently supported by their network partner (Three UK) - the iPhone 12 for example.

Hi @Ryan ,

That explains it perfectly - thank you. In that case, can I please ask:

I’ve recently signed up to idmobile hoping that I would be able to use VoLTE on my LG G5. When I force my phone to use “LTE only” (by using the menu available under *#*#4636#*#*), the phone successfully connects using 4G. The “VoLTE Provisioned” switch is showing on “On”, the “Voice Network Type” shows “LTE” and the “Data Network Type” shows “LTE”, but the “IMS Service Status” menu option shows:

IMS Status

IMS Registration: Not registered

Voice over LTE: Unavailable

Do you know whether this is likely to be a problem on my end (device) or on your end (carrier), and whether there is anything that I can do to fix it? TIA, Jaime

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @jaimet,

Phones on the list above are devices that we have tested and therefore should work.

If a phone is not listed then it doesn’t mean it won’t work for definite, it’s just that we haven’t tested the phone or when we did, we couldn’t support the service at that time.

Ryan

I see that people ask for certain phones to be added to “the list”. Why?

Could someone please explain to me what, exactly, is the purpose of “the list”? Is it that:

1. If a phone is on the list, then VoLTE on that phone is guaranteed/supposed/likely(*) to work? (delete as appropriate)
  2. If a phone is not on the list, then VoLTE on that phone is guaranteed/supposed/likely(*) to not work? (delete as appropriate)

I am asking because I have a VoLTE-enabled phone which is not on the list. Does the fact that it is not on the list mean that it is guaranteed to not work?

Any chance of the Motorola G9 Plus being added to the list?

Userlevel 2

No i didnt come from CPW - it was a tesco’s refurb from ebay… it could have had some history i guess but its an immaculate refurb and works perfectly other than wifi calling… wifi calling appears to be a bit bleading edge hit and miss at the moment

As previously mentioned by others, if it was on another network (despite it being unlocked) there's problem something in the custom firmware that's preventing WiFi calling from working on ID.

No i didnt come from CPW - it was a tesco’s refurb from ebay… it could have had some history i guess but its an immaculate refurb and works perfectly other than wifi calling… wifi calling appears to be a bit bleading edge hit and miss at the moment

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

When did you buy the Alcatel @sunnybank?

Was it from ourselves or someone else?

Have you been able to use WiFi calling with it when you pop in a friend/ family members SIM do you know? 

Userlevel 2

Hi, yep i borrowed an iphone 6 to test the IDmobile sim on wifi calling (on the same wifi network) and it worked fine.. tested that before i went and bought the Alcatel 3L.. 

Oops sounds like the phone then, id be sending it back, lol. Did you have specific reason for wanting the Alcatel?

Hi, yep i borrowed an iphone 6 to test the IDmobile sim on wifi calling (on the same wifi network) and it worked fine.. tested that before i went and bought the Alcatel 3L.. 

Userlevel 2

Hi, no i'd already tried this based on the other comments…  its a brand new SIM-Free phone so as you say I did expect it to work as its on the list… not great as it was bought specifically for this reason as i have no phone signal at home… the list clearly cant be trusted at face value.. is the “Alcatel 3L” support for the 2020 version only?  if so it needs to be stated!

Do you have any others phones that you could test your ID SIM in? Or try that phone on a different WiFi network. (Sometimes the problem can lie with the router)

Hi, no i'd already tried this based on the other comments…  its a brand new SIM-Free phone so as you say I did expect it to work as its on the list… not great as it was bought specifically for this reason as i have no phone signal at home… the list clearly cant be trusted at face value.. is the “Alcatel 3L” support for the 2020 version only?  if so it needs to be stated!

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @sunnybank 

Did Kurt’s message above help at all?

If not, do you happen to know if the phone you bought was previously sold through another network at all?

Some of the other networks flash the firmware of phones sold directly through them which unfortunately make it so certain features become exclusively locked unless you’re using their SIM’s.  EE being one in particular we’ve seen examples of this being the case.

SIM-free phones that have never had any network affiliation prior should always be fine if they’re on our compatibility list though. 

Phones sold through iD Mobile on contract don’t get locked in such a way if you were to use them elsewhere later down the line neither.

Userlevel 2

Hi, ive just bought an Alcatel 3L (2019) specifically because its on the wifi calling supported list... but it doesnt seem to work…. is there something i need to do to ‘activate’ it?  Latest sw update applied etc..

Thanks

Under network>mobile network, there might be an option to turn on WiFi calling. You can sometimes check if it's working by enabling airplane mode, then turning on WiFi again. If not, you might be our of luck. Please let me know how your get on.

Hi, ive just bought an Alcatel 3L (2019) specifically because its on the wifi calling supported list... but it doesnt seem to work…. is there something i need to do to ‘activate’ it?  Latest sw update applied etc..

Thanks

Userlevel 1

Good idea I'll give it a try but I'm in europe at present do I'll try it on Sunday. 

Userlevel 2

It is on ID as well.  I keep trying to talk to ID  but I cant seem to get a person to talk with. Their online system says it's an agent but they keep just giving generic answers like a robot. I don't know what to do.

Maybe daft question, have you tried swapping the sim cards round?

Userlevel 1

It is on ID as well.  I keep trying to talk to ID  but I cant seem to get a person to talk with. Their online system says it's an agent but they keep just giving generic answers like a robot. I don't know what to do.

Userlevel 2

Thank you again for taking the time to get back to me

It is on my home network but my other note 8 works perfectly on it !! I'm not sure what else to try.

What network is that one on? Have you contacted ID?

Userlevel 1

Thank you again for taking the time to get back to me

It is on my home network but my other note 8 works perfectly on it !! I'm not sure what else to try.

Userlevel 2

Sadly doesn't seem to have worked. Do ID need to activate the SIM for wifi calling?

Are you trying this on your home wifi network? I would suggest you try a public hotspot. Some routers need the correct ports opening up to allow wifi calling traffic. E.g. I found I couldn’t use wifi calling at work because out internet provide had blocked the required ports! I am sure if you try a different place (or two) you will find it works. There is no specific setting on the SIM card, if you can make calls you should be able to route via wifi.

You can read more at this thread: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ask-a-question-18/ports-and-protocols-needed-for-wifi-calling-31811

Userlevel 1

Sadly doesn't seem to have worked. Do ID need to activate the SIM for wifi calling?

Userlevel 2

I have a note 8 on the list, wifi calling is turned on and software updated but still not working.  Any ideas????

Try enabling air plane mode, then turn on WiFi. It sometimes doesn't work if you are in an area of good coverage.

Why iD Mobile?