Solved

WiFi calling not working on Samsung A51

• 10 November 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I have the WiFi calling option enabled on my Samsung A51. It's listed as a compatible phone. However it doesn't work. When I have no reception the WiFi calling doesn't kick in. I've also tried to force it by switching onto airplane mode and switching WiFi back on (and checking the WiFi setting is on again). Still no success.

I have tested my husband's EE sim in my phone and it works perfectly, so it's definitely a network issue and not a phone issue.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 11 November 2021, 15:26

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Helen CW,

What happens when you put your iD SIM into your husband’s phone?

The following community article lists the Android devices that iD supports for Wi-Fi Calling:

Wi-Fi Calling & 4G Calling | Join the discussion, ask questions, share advice. (idmobile.co.uk)

Thing is, the Samsung A51 is not listed - that might explain why you can’t get it working with your phone. That said, the following page:

WiFi Calling | What Is WiFi Calling? | iD Mobile Network

Shows the Samsung Galaxy A51 is compatible - where did you buy your A51?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @Helen CW, sorry to hear you’re having issues with Wi-Fi Calling. Can I ask if you purchased the phone from us directly, or from another retailer?

Also, is the phone running the latest system update? Just go to Settings > Software update to check.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Hey @Helen CW, sorry to hear you’re having issues with Wi-Fi Calling. Can I ask if you purchased the phone from us directly, or from another retailer?

Also, is the phone running the latest system update? Just go to Settings > Software update to check.

Thank you,

Rory

The phone was bought from a seller on Amazon as handset only. It wasn’t locked to any particular network if that’s what you’re wondering.

And yes it’s running the latest software. I’ve done all the usual checks!

Userlevel 1

Hello @Helen CW,

What happens when you put your iD SIM into your husband’s phone?

The following community article lists the Android devices that iD supports for Wi-Fi Calling:

Wi-Fi Calling & 4G Calling | Join the discussion, ask questions, share advice. (idmobile.co.uk)

Thing is, the Samsung A51 is not listed - that might explain why you can’t get it working with your phone. That said, the following page:

WiFi Calling | What Is WiFi Calling? | iD Mobile Network

Shows the Samsung Galaxy A51 is compatible - where did you buy your A51?

Good point. I’ll try it in his phone later.

Yes, it’s listed on ID’s official list of compatible phones (on your second link). Would also seem odd for it not to be compatible if it is compatible on other networks plus both the A50 and A52 are compatible.

It was bought from Amazon from an independent retailer as a handset only. So not locked to any particular network.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay thanks @Helen CW,

It’s more than likely you’ve purchased a grey import, which is to say the device was not configured for the UK market.

Unlocked devices intended for the UK market will work with iD Wi-Fi Calling service, but grey imports usually don’t.

Have you tried your iD SIM in your husband’s device yet?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @Helen CW,

As to why your grey import doesn’t work with Wi-Fi Calling, these community articles:

Wifi calling not working Samsung A50 and WiFi calling not working on A52S

provides insight into issues you can have with Wi-Fi Calling when your device wasn’t for the UK market.

My daughter has an unlocked A51 from Argos, which works great with iD’s Wi-Fi Calling service.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

Okay thanks @Helen CW,

It’s more than likely you’ve purchased a grey import, which is to say the device was not configured for the UK market.

Unlocked devices intended for the UK market will work with iD Wi-Fi Calling service, but grey imports usually don’t.

Have you tried your iD SIM in your husband’s device yet?

Thanks @Helen CW,

As to why your grey import doesn’t work with Wi-Fi Calling, these community articles:

Wifi calling not working Samsung A50 and WiFi calling not working on A52S

provides insight into issues you can have with Wi-Fi Calling when your device wasn’t for the UK market.

My daughter has an unlocked A51 from Argos, which works great with iD’s Wi-Fi Calling service.

Anyway, good luck.

Yep, you’re right. I’ve looked in the phone settings and there’s a reference to the UAE (screenshot below). I’ve tried my SIM in another A51 and it works. Luckily, the other A51 is a redundant family one so I can use that one instead! (Just have to go though the pain of setting everything up again).

I had read that community article about the network firmware causing problems but hadn’t seen the one about imports.

I don’t understand why it works with EE though but not ID. That still suggests there is something in the way the network has set up WiFi calling that is also contributing to non-compatibility.

But at least I have another option now so it’s not a disaster in my particular case.

Thanks for the help.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

That’s unfortunate @Helen CW - at least you have another device to use.
:slight_smile: 

Buying through the Amazon marketplace can be like walking through a minefield - lots of dodgy operators there.

I can only think your iD SIM doesn’t work in the grey import because iD are an MVNO, so their Wi-Fi Calling service is somehow a little different to that offered by an MNO.

Why iD Mobile?