Question

Billing starts before SIM/Phone delivered/activated

Userlevel 1

I’ve started a new SIM Only contract with ID Mobile making an order online.
Obviously there’s a delivery period before the service is available for me to use.

However, ID Mobile seems to ignore this gap in service being available to use and starts charging straight away, starting the bill date from the order date.

Other networks set this date to be when the SIM is activated. Utility companies start charging when they’ve completely taken over the service. Landline, broadband, TV services start the billing date from when the service is live and available to the customer.

With the current coronavirus lockdown, deliveries are further delayed. However, I already have a bill issued, probably at least a week before I even have the SIM.

Why is ID Mobile not considering when the service becomes available for the setting of the bill start date? Why isn’t a window period given for a customer to activate their new SIM to set it as the bill start date?

This is completely unacceptable and if the bill start date isn’t adjusted for when I have actually received and inserted my SIM card into my phone, I WILL make use of the 30 day cancellation window and cancel my contract.

19 replies

Userlevel 1

Ordered a SIM on 28/12/2021. Arrived 06/01/2022. Told SIM will be usable 07/01. But billing started on 28/12 - ten days before I receive any service.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @sazzle321,

The agreement starts as soon as the agreement is taken out, so maybe best holding off for those 3 weeks if you don’t want to pay. 

Will

I am looking to order a phone for my son for his birthday but his current contract with 02 does not expire for three weeks. Therefore, if I order the phone today but do not activate the sim for a few weeks does this mean the first payment will not come out until the sim is activated or will i get charged earlier? Obviously i do not want to be paying for two phone contracts this month, but the black friday deal on this phone will expire before my sons current contract ends? I would also like to keep the same number?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

In which case Matthew, we’ll issue you a credit back if it is in fact evident no usage was used on the SIM for that period mentioned.

We’ve sent you a private message on here now so that we can do that for you.

Simply click on your profile icon in the top right, then go to your private messages.

I understand each of those points although it was nearly 3 weeks later that I received the sim and therefore it cant be right that two payments are new due after only a few days usage! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @Matthewrake 

When a SIM-only or 24-month contract starts.  Your first bill would be generated within about 24 hours of that, and be due to be paid/ come out via Direct Debit 14-days later.

You would be paying for Line Rental a month in advance, which when it comes to leaving, you may have nothing left to pay once you come to the last day of service due to you have been paying in advance.

SIM’s arrive usually within 2-3 days after being sent, or if you purchased through a Carphone Warehouse store you’d leave with it there and then.

If it’s a phone contract, you’d generally have the SIM and phone by DPD next day.

How long after making a purchase did you have to wait for your SIM Matt? as by no means at all should you have 2 bills due, unless you have 2 separate accounts?

Hi Will, it was telling me the billing would take place prior to me receiving the sim card! I've only just inserted it and apparently already owe two payments imminently! Help?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Matthewrake,

How long after receiving the SIM is it advising that the first payment due?

Will

Hi I have exactly the same problem, sim cards only just received but supposedly I owe for a month already but can't speak to anyone as they only offer reduced opening hours. Can someone please help?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @Cheviot1 

I have sent you a private message with more details. 

Regards

Aklima 

I’ve got a similar issue. My billing date started on 20the April but the SIM card did not arrive until 1st May. Can you make an adjustment to my contract start date?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @henaghanr 

We are extremely busy on Live Chat however please remain on the page and an agent will be available shorty. 

We apologize for any inconvenience caused. 

Regards

Aklima

Found the message but live chat is constantly busy! Just can’t get rhrough

Hi, where has the direct message gone to?

i can’t log on to my IDM app because it needs the phone number and I haven’t received the SIM yet!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @henaghanr 

Welcome to the iD Community.

I’ve sent you a direct message with further information.

Pearl

Hi, the order was processed in 17th April. The order number is 110736630

many thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @henaghanr 

Please can you confirm when the SIM was requested?

Regards

Aklima

I have a similar query, i ordered a new sim only contract a couple of weeks ago.  I haven't received the SIM in the post and billing is about to begin.  Can you confirm that a SIM has been dispatched or is it missing in action?

Many Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Viz57 , if you could kindly check your PMs, that’d be great.

Thanks again,

Will

Why iD Mobile?