Solved

5G not provisioned on second SIM

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I’m wondering how 5G is currently being pushed out to customers...

I ordered a 12GB/Unlimited calls/Unlimited texts SIM on the 30/5 and inserted it into a Oppo Reno 4 Z 5G handset. It has 5G listed and enabled in the handsets settings menu and we get 5G signal too.

I ordered another 12GB/Unlimited calls/Unlimited texts SIM on the 14/6 and that too is in another Oppo Reno 4 Z 5G handset. However, no 5G is listed in the handsets settings menu (only 4G/3G/2G) and so no 5G signal.

I have tried turning off the phone and turning it back on. I have also performed a full factory reset of the second handset and setup a new but still no 5G. So, it appears that the second SIM isn’t provisioned for 5G.

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 20 June 2021, 14:08

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Freestuff, compatibility with Three’s network doesn’t necessarily mean the device will work when used with an iD Mobile plan. Your experiences may vary, but only the devices shown on the iD Mobile 5G compatibility list are guaranteed to function correctly. Sorry about that.

Thank you,

Rory

Hi

Whilst I appreciate that you have taken the time to reply to my message, and have been trying to help, but  you have not been successful.

I understand that my mobile phone (Realme X50) is not on the ID mobile mystery list of Mobiles. But what I don’t understand is why my phone can not use 5G on ID - when it can use 5G on any other network without being on a  mystery list? 

I never had any issue when using Three’s network, Vodaphone, or O2. Likewise I did not need to be on a mystery list of devices - 5G is 5G. If a phone can be used on one network it should be able to be used on all networks. I came to ID from Three, the network ID piggy back of, so why are ID so obstructive?

Why are ID mobile restricting the functionality of devices? 

Think it may be time to look at another network to get the full services that my phone could previously use before coming to ID.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Freestuff, the Realme X50 is not supported on iD 5G. Sorry to disappoint.

Thank you

Rory

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

The implementation of 5G here in the UK is a strange one! What exactly does it entail? Do they pop a SIM in and go "it works!!!" and add it to their compatible list of 5G phones? All European 5G phones are built to the same spec as far as I can tell. It's not even really 5G, just 4G on steroids!!!

So my Realme X50 5G Global Edition   mobile phone worked seamlessly on 5G when I was a THREE customer.

Since moving to ID Mobile no 5G is available :-( and the 5G data toggle disappears from ‘my network settings’ when the ID Mobile sims is used. ID says that 5G is Live in L32 0TJ area but still no connection.

This is very strange Given that ID use Three’s network and I could get a solid 5G signal in this area using a THREE sim card.

If I use a Three, Vodafone, 02 or EE sim card the 5G toggle is present in ‘my network settings’  and can be switched on and used.

What’s going wrong with ID?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello @WelshPaul 

Great to hear you now have 5G showing, thanks for the update.

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Fixed - I left the second SIM in my S21 Ultra 5G for 10 minutes and eventually up popped 5G.

Put it back in the Oppo Reno4 Z and my son now has 5G on that device too. 👍

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Did you read my post? I have two pay monthly SIMS, both on the same plan and both inserted into an Oppo Reno4 Z and yet the first SIM has 5G, the second does not. Odd that one works, the other does not.

Anyway, I have now placed both ID Mobile SIMS into my Samsung S21 Ultra and again, the first SIM has 5G, the second does not. So clearly the second SIM is not provisioned for use with 5G regardless of what handset it’s placed into.

The Samsung S21 Ultra 5G is listed as a compatible device here:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/5g

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello @WelshPaul 

The Oppo Reno4 Z is not currently listed as one of our approved devices for 5G

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I have just removed the second ID Mobile SIM that I purchased on 14/6 from the Oppo Reno4 Z and placed a Vodafone SIM in the phone, 5G is now listed in network settings and I get 5G signal. When I removed the Vodafone SIM and placed the second ID Mobile SIM that I purchased on the 14/6 back in the phone, no 5G option listed in network settings, only 4G/3G/2G or 3G/2G.

So our second ID Mobile SIM definitely isn’t provisioned for use with 5G. 😞

Why iD Mobile?