Solved

Another New iD Mobile User Unable to Use Wi-Fi Calling

Userlevel 1

Have recently ported my number into iD Mobile and have been unable to make or receive Wi-Fi calls on my iPhone 12 Pro.  It used to work on my phone with my previous provider, EE.

I’ve tried all the suggestions on here, resetting network settings, removing SIM etc.

Seem to be a number of users with similar issues.

This was particularly irritating while on holiday in the Scilly Isles over the last couple of weeks.

If it matters, my home ISP is Zen on an FttP connection.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 24 August 2022, 14:56

View original

47 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @Arcticpollen,

I’ve got an unlocked iPhone 13 and haven’t had trouble using the iD Wi-Fi Calling service, which is great as I’m in a mobile not-spot.

Given you recently ported your number to iD, maybe try the live chat service to get your plan’s network account settings checked.

Did you get your iPhone from EE?
If you did, it’s possible it’s got some EE customisations impairing Wi-Fi Calling with iD Mobile.

Otherwise, here’s some generic trouble-shooting you might not have tried:

1. Download the latest software update for your phone.
  2. Check the phone manufacturer’s website to make sure Wi-Fi Calling is supported with your device.
  3. Check your device settings to make sure Wi-Fi Calling is turned ON (it can sometimes turn OFF when you switch network provider).
  4. Make sure your network provider allows Wi-Fi Calling with your plan.
  5. Make sure Wi-Fi Calling is activated in your plan’s network account settings (some network providers turn it OFF by default).
  6. Get your network provider to help rectify the issue, otherwise return your SIM within 14 days of purchase (if you bought it online).

I hope you get this sorted - good luck.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @andewhite 

The iPhone is bang up to date on iOS 15.4.1 with iD mobile provider settings ver 50.0.which is much later than the recommended minimum ver 31.1.  I’ve tried turning Wi-Fi calling on and off.

The phone was bought SIM free from John Lewis and its only contact with EE was using one of their SIMs.

I found the live chat bot to be completely pointless - no one real has ever jumped in when I’ve tired it.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Arcticpollen, type “talk to a person” after you connect on live chat - that way you’ll avoid the 24/7 chat-bot. 

I’ve got iOS 15.3.1 and mobile provider settings v49.0.
There doesn’t appear to be an obvious reason for iD Wi-Fi Calling service to not work with your device.

Don’t despair, although it may take a few days I’m sure you’ll get Wi-Fi Calling to work with iD Mobile.

BTW, you can also send a private message (PM) to iD Mobile via facebook or twitter.

It’s best to contact iD between 9am - 6pm - that way you can chat or PM with a real person.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Doesn't matter who supplies an iPhone, be it an apple store or a local network provider, they all have the same generic software as Apple doesn't let anyone customise their software. Android however is a different matter.

Userlevel 1

It’s really quite annoying.  The only reason I chose iD Mobile to move to was the Wi-Fi calling.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Do you have an option to enable/disable VoLTE?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Don’t despair @Arcticpollen, although it may not be working immediately I’m sure you will get Wi-Fi Calling to work with iD Mobile.

If you’ve lost hope, then besides EE and iD there are a number of other UK mobile networks offering a Wi-Fi Calling service:

• ASDA Mobile
  • BT Mobile
  • O2
  • Sky Mobile
  • SMARTY
  • Virgin Mobile
  • Vodafone
  • VOXI

On ASDA Mobile, they say it takes 7 days, after SIM activation, before the Wi-Fi Calling service is available.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

@WelshPaul - no, just mobile data options to enable roaming (on), voice and data (set to 5G auto) and data mode (standard).

In network selection, it just shows ID and not ID WiFi Calling as I’ve seen in some screen shots on these pages.

The SIM was activated 3 or 4 weeks ago now.

Userlevel 1

If I enable airplane mode but switch WiFi back on, I can’t make calls.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If I enable airplane mode but switch WiFi back on, I can’t make calls.

That’s strange @Arcticpollen, I’ve no trouble making/receiving Wi-Fi Calls on my iPhone in the following mode:

Perhaps you can try somewhere that has good mobile reception and a good Wi-Fi network signal?

Also, @davidlan and @HollieS had Wi-Fi Calling problems (first described here), which they solved by:

1) Rechecking all settings on the phone
2) Rebooting the broadband router/Wi-Fi hub, while phone was in Wi-Fi Calling mode

Worth a try? 
Might fix your problem too - good luck.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

@andewhite do you have an option to enable or disable VoLTE?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@andewhite do you have an option to enable or disable VoLTE?

Nope, that option appears to have been removed in iOS 15, if your iPhone is 5G capable.

Userlevel 1

It’s nothing to do with my home network.  It wasn’t working in the holiday cottage I was staying in last week.

As a test, my corporate iPhone on Vodafone (with Wi-Fi calling enabled) is able to make Wi-Fi calls from home fine.  If I put the Vodafone SIM into my personal device, again, I can make Wi-Fi calls.

With my iD SIM in the corporate phone, no Wi-Fi calls.  It’s definitely the SIM or my iD account that’s screwed.

Anyone from support or customer services monitoring the community pages?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Anyone from support or customer services monitoring the community pages?

There’s no immediacy to support from iD to issues raised in this forum.
Right now, the iD community support team seem to be several days behind reading posts.

Your best option is their live chat service, but type “talk to a person” after you connect to avoid the 24/7 chat-bot. 

You can also send a private message (PM) to iD Mobile via facebook or twitter.

It’s best to contact iD between 9am - 6pm - you should then get to chat or PM with a real person.

Userlevel 1

Managed to get through in the chat service.  After 2 lengthy chats, was told that my iPhone must be a grey import non-UK version.

Complete nonsense - it’s clearly a UK/Ireland version looking at the model number of the the phone in settings | about.

Complaint  now in progress.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

All iPhones run the same software no matter where in the world it was purchased. The "Grey imports" theory only applies to Android phones, as network operators customise the firmware etc. Apple doesn't let anyone mess with or customise iOS.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @WelshPaul - I know that’s correct, but it seems to be a standard excuse trotted out by customer services and support when users are unable to use the advertised Wi-Fi calling functions on a supported phone.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It has to be either a SIM Card issue or account related issue. If VoLTE & WiFi Calling are showing as being enabled on the account, have iD Mobile tried disabling and re-enabling them? This has worked on other networks such as Vodafone in the past.

Failing that, try popping your SIM in an android handset and try disabling VoLTE yourself and then re-enable it.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

It’s quite clear Wi-Fi Calling works with both iPhone devices - there must be a problem with your iD network account. The suggestions by @WelshPaul are worth a try.

I struggled to get Wi-Fi Calling service working when I first joined iD Mobile. My daughter was with EE and using Wi-Fi Calling with her iPhone. Her EE SIM worked in my iPhone, which proved to me my iPhone was fine for Wi-Fi Calling.

I’m not sure how this was resolved, because mysteriously the iD Wi-Fi Calling service started working within 12 hours of swapping the EE SIM card between the iPhones.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @andewhite - there are a few people posting in the community pages with the same issue.  The provider description on the physical SIM info on the phone shows just “ID” rather than “ID WiFi Calling”.  iOS on the phone is bang up to date, 15.4.1 so it has picked up the iD network provider settings version  50.0.

Other users who seem to have it working are on either 48 or 49.

I did see another thread for a user with the same problem which was resolved by iD sending out a new SIM.

My issue is back with their support team for now.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Arcticpollen, on my iPhone, the network provider is “iD 50.0” and I’m able to use the iD Wi-Fi Calling service.

I believe 50.0 is linked to iOS 15.4.1, whereas 48.0 and 49.0 are for previous versions of iOS.

I recall seeing network provider “iD 49.0” when I was using iOS 15.3.1 - anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

@andewhite - thanks for confirming the issue doesn’t seem to be related to the iOS version and the associated network provider settings.

Hopefully just an account or SIM problem that iD will be able to resolve soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Arctic. I had a similar issue with Wi-Fi calling in my iPhone 12 having just joined ID a month ago. Mine got me frustrated so ended up calling my internet provider Bt. As I was on the call I noticed Wi-Fi calling kicked it and now some of the time Wi-Fi calling scrolls in the top left but not all the time. However when I make a call or receive one it works if that makes sense. When making a call have you then looked to see after say 30 seconds in to the call if it says Wi-Fi calling ? 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for sharing your experience @Andros 

Wifi calling works from home on my work phone on Vodafone and if I put that SIM in my iPhone 12, it works there too. Putting the iD SIM in the work phone, no WiFi calling. The call just fails. 
Definitely seems to be an issue with iD SIM or my account. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

No problem. Hope you get it sorted out and if and when please report back to this thread 

Why iD Mobile?