Solved

Another New iD Mobile User Unable to Use Wi-Fi Calling

Userlevel 1

Have recently ported my number into iD Mobile and have been unable to make or receive Wi-Fi calls on my iPhone 12 Pro.  It used to work on my phone with my previous provider, EE.

I’ve tried all the suggestions on here, resetting network settings, removing SIM etc.

Seem to be a number of users with similar issues.

This was particularly irritating while on holiday in the Scilly Isles over the last couple of weeks.

If it matters, my home ISP is Zen on an FttP connection.

icon

Best answer by andewhite 24 August 2022, 14:56

View original

47 replies

Userlevel 1

Just to keep the thread updated.  Just had another session with a very helpful member of staff in the complaints team.

Still unable to get WiFi calling working so a replacement SIM is on its way.

Fingers crossed...

Userlevel 1

Update - new SIM arrived earlier today which I’ve activated through my account.  Can make/receive calls and send receive SMS messages.

Still no sign of Wi-Fi calling being enabled but I’ll give it 24 hours before following up the complaint I have open with customer services.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

🤞

Userlevel 1

Still no joy with the new SIM 24 hours after activating it.  Have repeated my previous test by swapping my work Vodafone SIM into my personal phone and my iD SIM into the work phone.

Can make/receive Wi-Fi calls on my personal phone with the Vodafone SIM in it and while in airplane mode without changing any other settings.  Work phone refuses to make/receive Wi-Fi calls when my iD SIM is in it.

Had another session with the complaints team who have pinged it back to support.

Ho hum...

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

How frustrating.

On the plus side, at least you’ve got a direct point-of-contact in iD complaints. 

Earlier in the thread you mentioned porting to iD (4 - 5 weeks ago) - who was your previous mobile network provider?

Userlevel 1

@andewhite - I was on Orange/EE for years with Wi-Fi calling available from whenever Apple included the facility on their handsets.

I moved from them to PlusNet earlier this year (EE based MVNO) and the onto iD when I moved my home internet connection from PlusNet to ZEN.  PN give you “mates rates” deals on your mobile deal if you have your home broadband with them which I was going to lose after migrating to ZEN.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay, thanks @Arcticpollen.

It’s very odd - to use Wi-Fi Calling, the iD network account just needs to know about the provider’s (iD) IPsec gateway, needed for the VPN tunnel used to access the provider’s carrier network from the device.

Your iPhone does this when using the Vodafone SIM. My iPhone does it with my iD SIM. 

It does seem like something’s misconfigured on your iD network account - maybe this happened when the number was ported over from plusnet.

I wonder how often iD Mobile port numbers from another MVNO?

Userlevel 1

@andewhite - very odd indeed. My personal iPhone 12 Pro is quite happy to use Wi-Fi calling when I put my work Vodafone SIM in it yet on the same home Wi-Fi and internet connection, it’s a no go with the iD SIM.

It’s got to be something to do with my iD account setup but I would have hoped they would have worked out what the issue is by now.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@andewhite- very odd indeed. 

It’s got to be something to do with my iD account setup but I would have hoped they would have worked out what the issue is by now.

Indeed, you’d have expected iD Mobile to have it sorted by now.

Should be quite straight-forward - iD complaints dept. to iD tech team; iD tech team to three tech support; then a bit of to-and-fro - how hard can it be?

Userlevel 1

Seems like I’m not the only one with the same Wi-Fi calling issue on supposedly supported iPhones running iOS 15.4.1.  Stefan Tylunas has given up and migrated to another provider.

I’m likely to do the same next week if the complaints team and iD support are not able to get this sorted.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Given that PN mobile don’t provide a Wi-Fi Calling service, perhaps this service option has been screwed-up during the port from PN to iD Mobile.

You know your JL iPhone works perfectly with a Wi-Fi Calling service, when the SIM and network account are setup correctly.  

It shouldn’t be rocket science to make the Wi-Fi Calling service work - iD probably under-staffed and over-worked, and too reliant on three for tech support.

Userlevel 1

Another fruitless call earlier with the complaints team.

While looking at other potential MVNOs, I checked out the lists of supported devices for WiFi calling.  Smarty, another MVNO based on the Three network, do not list any Apple iPhone later than the 11 series and SE2020 as compatible.  I checked the equivalent list on Three, and nor do they list any 12 or 13 series iPhones as supported.

The iD Mobile site still shows the 12 and 13 series iPhones as compatible.

Voxi, based on Vodafone, do list the later iPhones as compatible which would bear out the tests I’ve done with my work SIM from Vodafone.  No EU roaming though at Voxi without paying extra though.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Seems like you’re not having much luck. As I put in a thread a while ago Wi-Fi calling kicks in for me when making or receiving a call. Does this happen with you ? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Another fruitless call earlier with the complaints team.

While looking at other potential MVNOs, I checked out the lists of supported devices for WiFi calling.  Smarty, another MVNO based on the Three network, do not list any Apple iPhone later than the 11 series and SE2020 as compatible.  I checked the equivalent list on Three, and nor do they list any 12 or 13 series iPhones as supported.

Yeah, three and SMARTY are old-balls.

I asked three and SMARTY, via twitter DM, about Wi-Fi Calling support for iPhone handsets. Confusingly the social media teams (for both) said the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 were supported.

They really should update the list of supported devices, but I guess keeping and supporting existing customers is less profitable than enticing new ones.

FYI, I’ve previously used Wi-Fi Calling with a SMARTY SIM in an iPhone 12 mini without any problems.

EE, O2 and Sky Mobile (MVNO) list iPhone SE 2022, 12 and 13 as compatible with their Wi-Fi Calling. 

Userlevel 1

Seems like you’re not having much luck. As I put in a thread a while ago Wi-Fi calling kicks in for me when making or receiving a call. Does this happen with you ? 

@Andros - no, if I switch the phone into airplane mode (with wifi on and able to browse web pages) and try to make a call I get an error saying something like “connect to a wifi network or disable airplane mode”.

If I repeat the same with my work Vodafone SIM in the 12 Pro, I can make and receive wifi calls.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Strange I’m using an iPhone 12 and all ok I ported from three about 6 weeks ago 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Seems like you’re not having much luck. As I put in a thread a while ago i-Fi calling kicks in for me when making or receiving a call. Does this happen with you ? 

@Andros- no, if I switch the phone into airplane mode (with wifi on and able to browse web pages) and try to make a call I get an error saying something like “connect to a wifi network or disable airplane mode”.

If I repeat the same with my work Vodafone SIM in the 12 Pro, I can make and receive wifi calls.

It sounds like whenever the iD SIM card’s in the 12 Pro, the iD network account doesn’t know anything about iD’s IPsec gateway, needed for the VPN tunnel that provides access the carrier’s network from the mobile device.

Come on iD Mobile - get it sorted.

Userlevel 1

Update - received a new SIM from Smarty (also Three based MVNO) and popped it in.  Could immediately make/receive WiFi calls.

Also received a letter from the complaints team today blaming my handset despite clear evidence to contrary having tested the Vodafone SIM.

To their credit, the complaints team have all been super helpful over the phone.  Have just spoken to them again and they are going to credit me with what I’ve paid them since I migrated to them and they’ve given me a PAC code so that I can move to Smarty.

It’s all been a bit tedious but I can’t fault the outcome really other than iD tech support not being able to work out what the issue is nor being able to escalate it to Three to look at.

Thanks to those who have chipped in with advice/sympathy/encouragement etc.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

What a saga @Arcticpollen.

At least you’ve got Wi-Fi Calling for your iPhone now with a SMARTY SIM card.

I’ve been waiting over 2 months for an answer to a technical query. I guess our experiences suggest iD are under staffed for technical support.

Userlevel 1

Have been ported over successfully today and WiFi calling still working fine on SMARTY.

Quite impressed with their offerings - £8 pm unlimited calls/texts with 12GB data and have used the spare SIM they included for my iPad and signed it up for 30GB a month data for £10.

EU roaming is included and you can group family members together into one account and get a 10% monthly discount.

Can’t see anything to dislike really!  Quite a find, thanks iD for forcing me to look around for alternatives!

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I still have an iD Mobile pay monthly account but like you I'm now with Smarty too, and so is my wife and kids (all but one)! Unfortunately iD Mobile don't welcome customers whom need multiple SIM only accounts (iD Mobile have a limit of two pay monthly account per customer) for their family members.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Like @Arcticpollen and @WelshPaul, I’m with SMARTY now.

I switched after SMARTY updated their online list of devices supported for their Wi-Fi Calling service - see https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/4237414-which-devices-are-compatible-with-wifi-calling.

In addition, I’m able to manage 2 plans from one online account - happy days.

Why iD Mobile?