Question

Can't connect my phone to PPTP VPN

• 22 September 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I just receive my new SIM with iD and start to use Call/SMS/Data is working perfect and the coverage of the networks is OK .

I can't connect my phone to work VPN. Till now I used different mobile operator and no have any problem. I change to the old SIM and everything is working fine. 

Is it possible to connect to private VPN (PPTP) using iD SIM card?

Can some one have the same issue?

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Sto,

I’ve had VPN issues myself whilst working at home in the past. Have you tried powering down both devices for 10 minutes and trying again? Is there a particular error message?

Will

Hi @Sto.

I am having the same problem. I can't connect to my PPTP VPN with iD Mobile. I can connect with O2 so this means that the PPTP port is being blocked by iD Mobile. I really need to use this service.

Did you find a solution? Can we ask iD Mobile to unblock a certain port?

Kind regards.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @pedroadelino 

We are sorry to hear this, have you tried restarting both devices to see if this helps the VPN connection issue?

-Mohsin

Hi @Mohsin.

Yes, that’s not the problem, my VPN works fine with O2, EE and WiFi. Three told me that they don’t block VPNs.

I’ve tried changing the APN protocol to IPv4 only but that didn’t work.

Can you confirm if iD Mobile block PPTP VPNs on Port #1723?

Kind regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @pedroadelino,

We’ll need to check with our TechTeam as it’s a unique issue and the first time we’ve come across this.

I’ll send you a PM so we can pick this up.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem and I would be happy if you can help me with this issue.

I have noticed the problem about 5 months ago but did not pay attention to it as I had WIFI at home and for my studies the ID network was always working while roaming in the EU without any issues. I study at a Scottish university and I got stuck in Bulgaria because of the pandemic. I still have bills and rent to pay in the UK. I have found a student placement and I need to use work VPN in order to work remotely. I can connect to the work VPN without any issues from WIFI, Ethernet and VOXI mobile network while tethering in an EU country. But idMobile simply does not work. I have tried everything. I have switched the devices, I have changed the APN from ipv6 to ipv4, nothing. I really need to be able to connect to the work VPN. 

Is it true that iD Mobile is blocking PPTP VPNs on Port #1723?

Hello.

From my tests, iD Mobile is not blocking Port #1723, I can connect without problem, what happens is the GRE Protocol (53, not Port #53) is being blocked by the CG-NAT (cheap APNs). PPTP relies on GRE Protocol to operate.

ThreeUK has a mobile broadband offer (3internet APN) that accepts GRE Protocol but it costs a lot of money.

I’ve considered all options and the best is to use a SSL VPN or switch ISP (O2 and EE work fine, Vodafone should also work).

Kind regards,

Pedro Adelino

Why iD Mobile?