Solved

Chat/RCS stopped working

• 2 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I've been using chat/rcs features on Samsung messages for ages with no problems. Last week I put a second sim in my phone (vodafone) and since then chat features have stopped working for my iD sim. Even when I remove the Vodafone sim, clear data/cache, nothing works. It just says registration failed. 

I've attached some pics of what I'm seeing. I press chat settings and it asks if I want to register, but then it says registration failed and the button 'greys' out.

It's only starting happening since I put the second sim in my phone and activated chat features for that.

Anyone got a fix?

icon

Best answer by ReeceG 17 March 2022, 17:22

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @ReeceG,

It sounds like a question for Samsung support - especially as you seem to be using the Samsung Messages app. 

Messages by Google also supports RSC (called chat features by Google) messaging - have you tried this app instead?

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @andewhite 

Thanks for your reply. 

I think you're right, it might be a Samsung issue. 

I've been playing about, trying various things and then suddenly I got the registration screen come up, asking for my number. 

However after putting in my number is just said failed again. I will keep trying various things and report back here if I have any luck. Other people online have had the same issue so it's not just me. 

Reece

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @ReeceG,

Not sure what could be causing this, but from an event I had with my own RCS messaging, it stopped working once after I switched networks. I enabled it and left it and I think one random day a week or so later it just started working again. Not sure if it was something that was done via Google’s end or not. That was for Android messaging though.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Mohammed 

Well I had a search online and some people think that it can glitch out and then the rcs servers (either samsung or Google, I'm not sure) will block your number from registering for a while.

People have said that they've left it a couple of weeks, giving the server time to reset, and then they've been able to re-register.

But this definitely started after I inserted a second sim into my phone, not sure why this would cause this.

I'm going to give it ago after 14 days (some time next week) and if I have any luck, I'll post on here.

Reece

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @ReeceG,

No problem, thanks for letting us know. It does sound like a rare issue so it’s the first time I’ve dealt with it myself!

Mohammed

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Mohammed ,

I've been able to fix my issue after leaving it for 2 weeks. Here is a full list of steps that I took to fix the issue:

1) Force stop messages, clear cache & data

2) Leave for 14 days (do not attempt to press "register for chat features etc, as this will start the 14 days from the beginning)

After 14 days:

3) Force stop, clear cache & data, then shut down phone

4) Remove sim and turn back on (the chat features button in messages should now be gone as there is no sim inserted)

5) Shut down and re-insert sim. Then turn back on

6) Open messages, settings (chat features button may be faded out)

7) Close messages and reopen

8) Chat features settings should now be normal, and you can press the button to view settings

9) Chat features should now be running normally as before

These are the steps I took. They may not be the same for everybody, and it might not work at all, but it did for me, so worth a shot if this ever happens to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@ReeceG,

Thanks for sharing that.

Glad to hear that it is resolved.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Why iD Mobile?