Solved

coverage checker says one thing, the reality says another!

• 5 November 2021
  • 12 replies

I’ve had my id mobile (iPhone 12) for 6 days and the last 2 I’ve been at work, where I’ve had a terrible signal.  It says 2 bars on 4g, yet won’t even open my mail app, or any others for that matter. The coverage checker says I should have a signal, but that’s not the reality. I’d like to cancel and go with another provider. I know O2 has good coverage at my work postcode as I’ve got a work mobile on their network. My work postcode is IG119XW.

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 5 November 2021, 15:44

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Three are working on an issue at that post code and it should be fixed soon. If you'd rather not wait then you can of course cancel and switch to O2.

I’ve been on live chat and the agent checked the postcode and never mentioned any work being done by Three, so I started the cancellation process with the agent and even the live chat crashed! You couldn’t make it up. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If you ever needed Wi-Fi Calling, currently you can’t send/receive SMS messages with O2 Wi-Fi Calling, but you can with iD Mobile Wi-Fi Calling - probably not a deal breaker though.

If it’s temporary and the masts in my work postcode are being worked on then I’ll wait, but the agent never mentioned that at all. I’d rather stay on id to be honest. It’s so frustrating having a mobile that’s got basically zero signal. I’m having to go outbox my office and walk up the road to get a good enough signal to just send a message. I should have 5G where I work, so to not even get 3 bars on 4G is disappointing. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay thanks @Richieb66, I have an iPhone 12 mini and rely on the iD Wi-Fi Calling service. I use it exclusively at home because I live in a mobile not-spot.

You might like to look into using Wi-Fi Calling in those locations you struggle to get a good signal - anyway, good luck whatever you decide.

I use WiFi at home but unfortunately at work it’s a corporate WiFi and we’re heavily restricted on what we can access, even personal email accounts are a no no! Don’t want to purchase a mobile WiFi on top of the monthly contract which is unlimited data, calls and texts. I’ll give it a few days and see, I’ve got a 30 day cooling off period..

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Richieb66,

1. Does this mean the Wi-Fi Calling service doesn’t work over the Corporate Wi-Fi?
  2. Does your office have a guest Wi-Fi network - iD Wi-Fi Calling might work with that? 

No they don’t have a guest WiFi and I can make calls on my work mobile, it’s just all the good stuff I can’t do! I can’t name the organisation, but it’s strictly limited to corporate use only, if that makes sense. Hopefully it’s just the mast maintenance and then it’ll be fine. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Enter the postcode here:

http://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support

Thanks, I did that a little earlier, after your first reply. It says masts in the area are being worked on. Hopefully be sorted soon. I’ve got another 20 odd days to decide 👍🏻

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It’s worth holding off a few days if you can.

Just a word of warning, we have had the above issue in our area for the past three weeks! Hopefully yours is fixed sooner. Good Luck 🤞 

I’ll give it as long as I can 👍

Why iD Mobile?