Question

iMessage and Facetime won't activate after porting my number.

• 4 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

My number has apparently been successfully ported from O2 yesterday. I got a text from ID to say this was complete. My calls and texts all working fine. Only issue outstanding is that I can’t activate Facetime or iMessage. Continually get the message “An error occurred during activation. Try again”. It has been doing this for about 30 hours now.

I can sign into iMessage via my Apple ID and send a message that way, so I know iMessage works. People are just receiving messages from my email address rather than my phone number, so at least I know iMessage works in that respect. It just won’t activate for my phone number now, which I need it to.

Steps I have tried (basically everything that an internet search suggests):

• I have tried switching off and on iMessage and Facetime several times.
  • I have reset my network settings on my phone a few times.
  • I have tried another SIM in the phone. It activates fine.
  • I have restarted the phone several times.
  • I have contacted Apple and they have said that everything checks out on their side. They said the issue has to be with ID. They suggested it might be a porting issue or a problem with the IMEI on the ID mobile server side not matching the IMEI on my phone.
  • I contacted ID and they have said there is nothing they can do, and someone will be in touch within 48 hours.

Anyone got any other suggestions? I don’t really want to leave ID after only signing up a few days ago, but that would perhaps be the quickest solution since I can’t find anyone willing to look into this properly.

Thanks.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Ham, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further. To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

My number has apparently been successfully ported from O2 yesterday. I got a text from ID to say this was complete. My calls and texts all working fine. Only issue outstanding is that I can’t activate Facetime or iMessage. Continually get the message “An error occurred during activation. Try again”. It has been doing this for about 30 hours now.

Anyone got any other suggestions? I don’t really want to leave ID after only signing up a few days ago, but that would perhaps be the quickest solution since I can’t find anyone willing to look into this properly.

Thanks.

Hello @Ham,

Have your tried the following?

1. Sign-out from your Apple ID on your iPhone
  2. TURN OFF your iPhone, for a least 10 minutes 
  3. TURN ON your iPhone and sign-in with your Apple ID

That might do the trick - anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

Hi @andewhite, I did try that. I honestly think I did try all permutations of everything that I could find to try. The good news is that it magically just fixed itself about 3 days after the number ported. I guess the full porting (including iMessage and Facetime activation) takes a bit longer than the 1 day porting of the number itself. Thank for your suggestion. Thanks to @Rory too for responding.

Hi, I am having the exact same issue at the moment. I’ve tried all the normal troubleshooting things as stated in the op. Can I also receive some help please?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi, I am having the exact same issue at the moment. I’ve tried all the normal troubleshooting things as stated in the op. Can I also receive some help please?

Do you mean you’ve got an iPhone and can’t activate iMessage & FaceTime?

What normal troubleshooting things have you tried?

Thank you.

Userlevel 1

iMessage and Facetime won't activate after porting my number.

My number has apparently been successfully ported from EE yesterday. My calls and texts all working fine except amazon and apple couldn’t call me. Only issue outstanding is that I can’t  receive OTP codes so 2 step verification code and i can’t activate Facetime or iMessage. Continually get the message “An error occurred during activation. Try again”. It has been doing this for about 30 hours now.

I can sign into iMessage via my Apple ID and send a message that way, so I know iMessage works. People are just receiving messages from my email address rather than my phone number, so at least I know iMessage works in that respect. It just won’t activate for my phone number now, which I need it to.

Steps I have tried (basically everything that an internet search suggests):

• I have tried switching off and on iMessage and Facetime several times.
  • I have reset my network settings on my phone a few times.
  • I have tried another SIM in the phone. It activates fine.
  • I have restarted the phone several times.
  • I have contacted Apple and they have said that everything checks out on their side. They said the issue has to be with ID. They suggested it might be a porting issue or a problem with the IMEI on the ID mobile server side not matching the IMEI on my phone.
  • I contacted ID and they have said there is nothing they can do, and someone will be in touch within 48 hours.

Thanks.

Userlevel 1

Hey I lodged a complaint with them I think the issue when the porting is done sometimes the signal is split therefore they need to contact your old network and fix the porting issue

but mine was resolved because I asked them to send me a new sim card so first ask them for new sim card and try that after all the other steps you have done didn’t work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey I lodged a complaint with them I think the issue when the porting is done sometimes the signal is split therefore they need to contact your old network and fix the porting issue

but mine was resolved because I asked them to send me a new sim card so first ask them for new sim card and try that after all the other steps you have done didn’t work.

Glad to hear you go tthis resolved since @solo1,

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?