Solved

iMessage & FaceTime will not work after porting number

• 17 August 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Recently joined iD Mobile and requested my number to be ported from Vodafone. 

Upon receiving the text message from iD to state that the number was ported, I went into my iPhone settings under Phone > My Number (as this was still showing the iD Number) - the +44 prefix is included.

I have performed the following steps and I am unable to get iMessage and FaceTime to activate:

1. Turn off iMessage and FaceTime in Settings
  2. Reset phone
  3. Confirmed my telephone number is correct in Settings > Phone > My Number (i.e. showing the ported number)
  4. Turned iMessage and FaceTime back on

Upon immediately turning iMessage/FaceTime back on, the following error appears “An error occurred during activation. Try again.”

In the Send & Receive options, I am able to use my Apple ID - however when selecting my ported number pops up the error message.

I have tried both on WiFi and on 4G.

Can someone please assist as I’ve not had this issue when switching before (usually just updating the number works).

Thanks

icon

Best answer by dylanb 19 August 2022, 14:50

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @dylanb, if you haven’t done a power cycle since your port completed, then try the following:

1. Turn OFF your handset.
  2. Remove the SIM and check the SIM is clean without finger prints, dust et cetera.
  3. Wait at least 15 minutes before putting the SIM back.
  4. Turn ON your handset.

If these steps fail, have you tried a Network Reset?

You might also want to check the devices and numbers you’re using in your iCloud and Apple ID accounts. Do this online at:

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

I can confirm the above steps have been undertaken, but I’m still receiving the same error 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @dylanb,

1. Power OFF, wait 15 minutes, then power ON - nothing changed?
  2. Network reset - nothing changed? 
  3. Apple ID and iCloud checks - everything looks in order?

What’s the exact error message you’re getting on your iPhone?

Userlevel 1

Hi @andewhite 

Correct - the errors are:

iMessage Activation
An error occurred during activation.
Try again.
[OK button]

FaceTime Activation
An error occurred during activation.
Try again.
[OK button]

Turning off an on iMessage/FaceTime will show the same errors. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @dylanb, have you tried this:

1. Turn OFF iMessage and turn OFF FaceTime.
  2. Sign Out of your Apple ID.
  3. Turn OFF your iPhone for at least 5 minutes.
  4. Turn ON your iPhone.
  5. Sign In with your Apple ID.
  6. Tap Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > CONTACTABLE AT and confirm the correct mobile number is shown. If it's not correct, use the Edit option to "Add email or phone number".
  7. Turn ON iMessage (Settings > Messages), and turn ON FaceTime (Settings > FaceTime).
  8. Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed against “Start new conversations from:” - if not select the correct number.

If the above doesn’t work, you should probably speak to Apple. Visit the Apple online support page at https://getsupport.apple.com/products to get started.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

I have literally sat for hours today trying to sort this out, looking at the forum it seems to be a common issue with people switching over to iD. 

I have tried 4 or 5 different variations of turning the phone off, resetting it, toggling iMessage on, off, signing in, signing out etc. All to no avail. 

iMessage and FaceTime previously worked absolutely fine on Vodafone/Smarty/EE etc the only thing that has changed is the network.

Apple will only point me back to iD as that is the only aspect that has changed since the functionality was previously working. 

I’ll wait until tomorrow but if it’s still not working I’ll revert back. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @dylanb, I’m not linked to iD Mobile in anyway, but this type of issue can happen if the port wasn’t completed properly or is incomplete. I know how frustrating it can be as I’ve had a few issues with activation in the past when the device linked to my mobile number changed.

This kind of issue seems to happen when someone starts using the temporary iD mobile number with their device, before porting their number over to iD. 

If you got a new iPhone when you joined iD, started using the temporary iD number with the new handset, Apple’s system’s will’ve recognised the temporary number as being linked to the new device.

If you continue to use the device, with the iD temporary number, Apple sometimes don’t recognise the number linked to the device has been changed, when the number port takes place.

One more thing you might consider trying:

1. Sign Out of your Apple ID on your iPhone.
  2. Turn OFF your iPhone.
  3. Go online and remove the iPhone (delete the device) from your iCloud, and your Apple ID account.
  4. Wait 10-15 minutes.
  5. Turn ON your iPhone and Sign In again, with your Apple ID - hopefully iMessage and FaceTime will activate.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

As an update, iMessage and FaceTime have now activated - approx. 76hrs after my number ported over from Vodafone.

I can’t establish what fixed the issue, but today I undertook the following:

After 2hrs of the above, iMessage and FaceTime worked. I’m not sure if it was down to any of the above steps, or just patience.

As a note for anyone else, I contacted Apple, but because iD Mobile doesn’t appear on their supported network providers list the level of support is limited to the help article on their site - so it’s not worth wasting your time!

Userlevel 1

As an update, iMessage and FaceTime have now activated - approx. 76hrs after my number ported over from Vodafone.

I can’t establish what fixed the issue, but today I undertook the following:

After 2hrs of the above, iMessage and FaceTime worked. I’m not sure if it was down to any of the above steps, or just patience.

As a note for anyone else, I contacted Apple, but because iD Mobile doesn’t appear on their supported network providers list the level of support is limited to the help article on their site - so it’s not worth wasting your time!

So I found a very good video on steps to sort out this problem. Worked for me and my iMessage and FaceTime are working perfectly how. I had no luck with id mobile customer care and apple support as they tossed me about so I decided to do my own research and found this very helpful YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNS8ud62Mxk

it was such a relief and I am happy to share the solution to anyone else who has the problem.

Why iD Mobile?