Question

iPhone 12 and 5G

• 18 July 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I just got my supposedly “5G ready” new iD SIM (a SIM only) SIM and I find that my up to date iPhone 12 is only showing the iD signal as 4G.

I have moved to different nearby areas - all of which are supposed to have excellent 5G coverage - but that does not improve matters nor did powering off/on the phone in those locations. 

I have since read that iD doesn’t actually currently support 5G on iPhones.

Is this correct? Or is there something a phone user is supposed to do to get their 5G “ready” SIM to actually work with 5G?

Thank you,

P

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello @PaulR123 

As much as I would love to help you, I am not familiar with the ways EE network works. This is community related to iD Mobile network which works using Three infrastructure. I would recommend you visiting community.ee.co.uk instead for your enquiry.

Kind Regards

Gregor

Oops - thank you for pointing out my mistake.

I have corrected my original post.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @PaulR123,

The iPhone 12 is one of our compatible handsets, you can see for yourself by clicking here.

Have you tried manually connecting to our network whilst in the areas you’d expect 5G? Do you have a postcode for any of these areas?

Cheers,

Will

Hi,

I just got my supposedly “5G ready” new iD SIM (a SIM only) SIM and I find that my up to date iPhone 12 is only showing the iD signal as 4G.

I have moved to different nearby areas - all of which are supposed to have excellent 5G coverage - but that does not improve matters nor did powering off/on the phone in those locations. 

I have since read that iD doesn’t actually currently support 5G on iPhones.

Is this correct? Or is there something a phone user is supposed to do to get their 5G “ready” SIM to actually work with 5G?

Thank you,

P

Did you get this sorted?

ive just got an iD Mobile SIM and 5G is not showing in areas where it should be available.

Tried all 5G settings on iPhone 12 Pro and it’s like the SIM can’t see the network at all.

My Virgin SIM I’m moving from can’t see 5G networks, I have to upgrade the SIM…I wonder if I’ve been sent a non 5G SIM? Is that a thing with ID?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello @Bagz 

Please could you confirm the postcode of the area you are trying to use your phone on 5G?

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Hello @Bagz 

Please could you confirm the postcode of the area you are trying to use your phone on 5G?

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

NG11 9ED. Shows 5G available, but unable to get it indoors or outdoors.

Phone doesn’t even attempt to join 5G, it has a weak 4G then bounces to 3G.

3 installed a massive phone mast just round the corner recently, I so hoped id have decent signal, but it’s worse than my current 4G with Virgin.

Disappointed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Bagz,

I’ve checked that postcode on our Coverage Checker and it looks as though you’re right on the border of where our “indoors and outdoors” meets the just “outside” coverage levels in terms of 4G and 3G, so this would explain the signal hopping back and forth between the two.

In terms of the 5G, you’re very much in an “only outside” coverage area for it, not too far away from large areas where it isn’t available at all. Even so, we’d expect when you’re out and about at home it would be attempting to register for 5G.

Have you seen the handset ever achieve a 5G signal, like when you’re further away from home?

Will

I finally got a 5G signal near by, very far up the road, barely a connection.

can someone inform me how to cancel my plan?

the help pages take me the community but they say “unauthorised”

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Bagz,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Will

Why iD Mobile?