iPhone 8 broken speaker

I recently got a new phone but wanted to keep everything from my old phone. So I put my old SIM card from my iPhone 7 into my new iPhone 8. Despite the same SIM card and no issues with my previous phone, I cannot make or receive any phone calls as it comes up with “call failed”. I’ve tried many suggestions on articles online but cannot seem to solve it. If you can help that would be great as I need to make and receive calls ASAP.

13 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
  1. Where did you buy your iPhone 8?
  2. Does your SIM still work in your iPhone 7?
  3. Is your new iPhone unlocked for use on any UK network?

1. The phone was provided by a work company 
  2. The SIM card still works on my iPhone 7 
  3. I don’t know. How do I know if my phone is unlocked for use on any other UK networks?

I can do everything as usual; use apps on go on the internet etc. However, I cannot make or receive any phone calls

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay thanks @Tom Greenacre.

I’d be inclined to ask the work company, who provided the phone, if it’s unlocked for use with any UK mobile network.

In addition, have a look at the online suggestions at https://3g.co.uk/guides/is-my-phone-unlocked.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I can do everything as usual; use apps on go on the internet etc. However, I cannot make or receive any phone calls

Not being able to make calls suggests the iPhone 8 is unable connect to the iD Mobile network.

Your apps and internet will work if you have setup Wi-Fi on your new iPhone.

Anyway, take a look at the suggestions in the https://3g.co.uk/guides/is-my-phone-unlocked page online.

The phone was given to me as a gift by a close relative through work so I’m unaware of who the company providing the phone was right now and will be unlikely to ask if it’s unlocked for use with any UK mobile network. 

To answer your follow up question, I can still use 4G and data when I do not have wifi so I think that must mean I can connect to the ID mobile network(?). If this is the case, what is the next best step for me to solve this problem?

For example to my point, I have been using 4G and not wifi to have this conversation with you so I believe this means I can connect to the ID mobile network.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Good point @Tom Greenacre.

Regarding being unlocked, with an iPhone if you check the following:

Settings > General > About
Then scroll down to PHYSICAL SIM.

If the Network Provider is “iD”, then your iPhone 8 is probably unlocked.

Given your iD SIM works in the iPhone 7, in the same location you’re using the iPhone 8, then it suggests there’s most likely a problem with the iPhone 8.

Apologies, I went from an IPhone 6 to this being an IPhone 7. From General > About > it says Network is ‘ID wifi call’. Network provider is ‘ID 50.0’. Network provider lock is ‘NO SIM restrictions’.  

Do you still believe it is an issue with the phone and I should book an appointment in an apple store near me? unless there is an other options…

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Ah, okay @Tom Greenacre.

My first iPhone was an iPhone 7, which I used with the “iD WiFi Call” service because I’m in a mobile network ot-spot.

From what you’ve reported, sounds like the mobile network signal at your location is not good.

Your iPhone 7 is using its Wi-Fi Calling feature, which means you’ve got Wi-Fi ON and your iPhone is using the “iD WiFi Call” service for making and receiving calls.

Can you try turning the Wi-Fi OFF (Settings > Wi-Fi, and slide the toggle to OFF position).

What happens when you’ve got Wi-Fi OFF?

When I turn off wifi I can make calls but I cannot hear the person speaking and they cannot hear me. I also tried turning wifi calling off and the same happened again. The option to use the speaker button is also dark grey both times and cannot be pressed. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Tom Greenacre, doesn’t sound like there’s a great signal at your location.

But, it could also be the speaker and microphone don’t work properly in this iPhone 7.

For speaker & microphone issues, I suggest looking at the Apple online support article https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203792.

One of the speakers in my old iPhone 7 stopped working, which I discovered after reading the above support article.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey @Tom Greenacre!

Unfortunately if your device has suffered from physical damage (in this case a broken speaker) you wouldn’t be able to rectify this in the settings, I’d recommend speaking to Apple directly about seeing if they can help with a repair!

Tom

Why iD Mobile?