Question

iPhone Network Provider settings (Carrier settings)

• 21 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello iD Community,

How can an iPhone user work out if they’ve got the latest network provider settings for their iPhone.

My iPhone currently shows “iD 48.0” under:

Settings > General > About in the “PHYSICAL SIM” section.

I’m aware other iD Mobile iPhone users show “iD 49.0” under their network provider settings.

Does it matter that I’m using version “iD 48.0”, of iD Mobile’s carrier settings, while others are using version “iD 49.0”?

Thanks in advance.

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

It transpires iD need to ask three for this information, which is difficult without their question being linked to a fault or problem - apparently this is required by three.

Contacting Apple was also suggested, but Apple say ask your network Network Provider (carrier) for this information.

A classic Catch-22 scenario.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @andewhite, do you still need help with this? If so, just let us know and we’ll drop you a private message.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes please, some help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Thanks @andewhite. We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further. To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Further to my original post, the “Update your network provider settings manually on your iPhone or iPad” online article by Apple has a little more about the topic.

In addition, it seems the network provider settings (carrier settings) are usually updated at the time of an iOS release.

My observations of the version number under Settings > General > About, next to network provider, appear to corroborate this.

1. “iD 48.0” appeared with iOS 14.8.1
  2. “iD 49.0” appeared with iOS 15.3.1
  3. “iD 50.0” appeared with iOS 15.4.1

I’m wondering if iD Mobile will ever be able to answer this question - my last private post to iD Support, sent over two months ago, remains unanswered.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’ve had several more privates messages from iD within the last 30 days - just more questions, no answers.
🙁

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

My original question was:

Does it matter that I’m using version “iD 48.0”, of iD Mobile’s carrier settings, while others are using version “iD 49.0”?

Here’s the explanation from the iD tech team:

I was a bit surprised by the response, because I’d never said I was using the wrong carrier settings. My settings showed “iD 48.0”, although other iPhone users on the iD network showed “iD 49.0” - which was right or wrong, nobody at iD Mobile can say. 

Anyway, Apple say carrier (network provider) settings are the responsibility of the network operator and go on to state: “To verify you have the latest network provider settings installed, contact your network provider.

Why iD Mobile?