Solved

Poor Xbox Live Connection Speed

• 4 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello, 

I have a ID Mobile Sim in a CPE Pro 2, if I run a speed test on another device(iPhone 6S, Laptop, Samsung S21 Ultra) I get speeds of 150mbits, these do change on peak times.

I have noticed that I can run a speed test using Fast.com or Speedtest.net and get 200Mbits+ but when i do one on my Xbox i only get 15Mbits. 

Any idea why Xbox live is slow on ID Mobile? 

Thanks 

Matt 

icon

Best answer by Madams500 20 October 2021, 11:34

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Madams500 ,

Are you able to check if you are using 2.4 GHz frequency or 5.0? You should be able to check from your hotspot settings.

Could you change this to 5.0 and check if this makes any difference?

Kash

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Just to add to this, games consoles do tend to have weaker Wi-Fi chips than other devices. The PS4 in particular always reports much lower speeds than my phone in the exact same location. 

Thankfully, online play doesn’t actually require that much bandwidth, unless of course you’re trying to stream entire games?

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Hello, 

It is on the 5GHz network, I doubt it is the Wi-fi connection. 

Thanks 

Matthew 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hey @Madams500, so the modem automatically splits the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands and you’re definitely connected to the 5G band, is that right? 5Ghz travels shorter distances than 2.4Ghz, so you’ll need to ensure your Xbox is close to the modem (but not TOO close; allow a couple of metres). If you’re getting good speeds with the other devices, it can only be something with the Xbox that’s the issue here - either the hardware, a setting, or the way you’re performing the test. Can I just ask a couple of questions?

Are you performing the speed test within the Xbox’s system menu, or are you going through the console’s Edge browser?

What’s the exact model of Xbox? 360/One/One S/One X/Series S/Series X?

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Hello,

Thanks for your reply @Rory, I was kinda wrong but also right.

Your correct in saying the Xbox One has a poorer wifi chip but i wouldnt say weaker, it gets a good connection strengh but the key thing it doesnt play well with the CPE pro 2 becuase it is a Wifi 6 (802.11AX) router.

I connected it via wire a AX3 booster and this solved the problem. I do plan to run wired networking around my house so this will be the long term fix.

For those reading this with the same issue that cant run cable around the house, find a repeater that can act as a media bridge.

Thanks

Matt

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Cheers for that really helpful info @Madams500 !

Please let us know if ever you need anything else.

Will

Why iD Mobile?