Question

Wifi calling not working

• 12 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi there. Any ideas on the following please?

My husband took out a new SIM only contract the other day which works fine in his phone. We also noticed that when putting the SIM card in my own iPhone 7 Plus then wifi calling is immediately enabled and works fine (his phone does not support wifi calling at present). Given that we have relatively poor mobile reception inside our house, this is a big bonus for me, so we decided to get an identical contract for my use and the SIM for that arrived on Friday. However, whilst this SIM works in terms of normal phone functions, wifi calling is NEVER indicated, where as swapping in my husband’s SIM and changing nothing on the phone ALWAYS indicates wifi calling every time. As I said, the two contracts are identical in every respect.

We have tried every possible fix shown on the internet (reset network settings, toggle wifi calling on or off etc. etc.) but nothing works. Is there a possibility that a SIM card could have been sent out that is not correctly set up at the ID Mobile end? I have a tech support ticket set up for this, but don’t know how long it might take to get a response, and I don’t want to commit to porting my old number across until I’m sure that wifi calling is going to work.

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @ljb2000,

I know you advised that the contracts are identical but is the handset also the same? Was it purchased from us with the contract?

I would advise checking that the handset has the latest iOS installed.

Also could you try the following:

1. Put handset into Airplane mode
  2. Enable Wifi
  3. Does Wifi calling show?

It may also be worth resetting your network settings.

Kash

Sorry, but I think these questions are mostlyalready answered. We bought identical SIM-only contracts, and putting them both in the SAME phone (my iPhone 7 Plus) shows wifi calling always enabled with his SIM, but never with mine. I also stated that network settings had been reset and various fixes (including Airplane mode) had been tried.

My husband posted a similar message a couple of days ago on my behalf, and another support person (Will) advised repeating this under my own username and going forward from there. He was suggesting that a replacement SIM might be sent out.

Please could somebody give me an update as to when I might expect a reply to the tech support ticket I have open for this (264580090).

Until I can get wifi calling working I’m not prepared to port my existing number across to this new contract from my old provider, and as such I can’t really use the new contract very easily on the number it came with unless I inform everyone I know about the temporary number.

I have now done an online chat and a replacement SIM card is being sent out - here’s hoping

Why iD Mobile?