Question

Wifi calling options on Samsung A52 5g

I have recently taken out a contract with ID and have a brand new unlocked Samsung A52 5g.  I need to use wifi calling but I can only guarantee using this in airplane mode as my phone does not show the option to make sure wifi is preferred over mobile.  I am told by Samsung that this is something that needs to be enabled by ID as it is something that is embedded in the phone and I need update the carrier settings for this.  I have tried talking online to an advisor but they just do not understand what I need and keep telling me my wifi calling is enabled.  Tearing my hair out don’t want to leave ID but this is a vital thing for me.

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello @Geehome 

Please can you try the following steps whilst your phone is connected to WiFi

Settings > Mobile Data > Network Selection 

If Automatic is switched on turn this off, a list of networks should then appear below
Now switched Automatic back on 
After doing this, it should show iD WiFi Call next to Network Selection, and also in Settings > General > About it also should now shows iD Wifi Call against the ‘Network’ 

Please let me know if the above works.

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

I have no issue getting wifi calling but it does not give me the option to always use WiFi calling when available

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello @Geehome 

WiFi calling is designed to only kick in when you have insufficient or no, mobile coverage. It maybe that your phone is seeing enough mobile signal and WiFi calling is not required. 

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Well no one can hear me when it decides I have enough signal.  There is an option with my phone and Samsung have confirmed this to select wifi preferred but that you need to provide me with some carrier settings for it to work

The only way I can force it is to use airplane mode but I shouldn’t have to do this.  I have been using this for years with other providers

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello @Geehome 

As the phone was not purchased directly from iD Mobile, this may be the reason why WiFi calling is not functioning as it should.

I have found an article here that may help you.

If you are still struggling, let us know and we’ll contact our Tech Team and ask for further advise.

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I am a Samsung user and we use ID Mobile, EE, Vodafone and O2 networks here...

None of us have any option available to use to select either “Cellular preferred” or “WiFi preferred” with any of them. In fact I didn’t even know it was a possibility!

The screenshot you took and posted above was taken from Samsung’s US website, and so it’s possible an option only available within the US.

EDIT: Nope, it’s listed on the UK website too:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-activate-wifi-calling-on-a-galaxy-smartphone/

I guess the UK networks don’t want us to choose WiFi calling as a preferred method of calling.

WelshPaul it is invaluable as it will force your phone to use wifi calling.  I always have to choose a provider with wifi calling as home signal is poor but phone will choose it if it is there.  I have found an answer to my problem above though that (ID won’t acknowledge but Samsung tell me they can correct).  There is an app called ‘Wifi Calling’ have installed that now and it allows me to choose wifi preferred or mobile preferred.  Will go back to my previous provider when able to.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

What provider are you going back to? I don’t think any of the UK networks allow you to choose a preferred calling option.

I was with O2 before and they ‘enabled’ it for me.  Samsung tell me that the provider has to update your phone network settings for it to work.  I also in the past had it with Vodafone as well.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Well I am a O2 & Vodafone Pay Monthly customer and I don’t have the option to select a preferred call option but then I haven’t requested it be enabled. 🤔

I have access to several Samsung handsets and I have spent 20 minutes testing both Pay Go and Pay Monthly Vodafone SIM’s and nothing. 👀

I will speak to both O2 & Vodafone CS and see if they can enable such feature (out of curiosity).

If not I recommend the app it’s working a treat!

Why iD Mobile?