Solved

WiFi calling unavailable on Sony XZ3

• 20 June 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

To get over the poor network signal at home I have bought a second hand (unlocked) Sony Xperia XZ3 to enable me to make calls via WiFi. I checked the phone was on your list of supported handsets and have ensured it is running the latest Android 10 software but there is still no ‘WiFi calling’ option listed in the call settings. I have read that the Sim card must also be compatible. Mine is 5 years old, do I need a replacement?

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 21 June 2021, 09:41

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Badge +10

@PeterBAB 

Xperia's require regional firmware to gain use of VoLTE and VoWIFI. 

If you are sure you have updated the software then

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/SX669701

enable VoLTE

My sim is older than your sim and it works fine… 

Userlevel 1

Thank you terrywebs. I have followed the instructions and got as far as selecting the preferred network type but ‘enable VoLTE’ does not appear as an option, so the sony instructions say contact your service provider.  So here I am again.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

It’s possible that Wifi Calling/ VoLTE calling hasn’t been enabled on your account. Speak to ID Mobile and confirm that it has been provisioned on your account. 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @PeterBAB 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

-Mohsin

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@terrywebbs and @WelshPaul - Thanks for sharing your own advice on this topic. We love to see users helping each other out! 

Emil

Userlevel 1

I have been told by ID Mobile tech department that my phone is of non European origin, has had its software modified and will therefore not work with an ID mobile Sim. My question is now: If a phone has previously been used on another network and had it’s software modified, does this then render it useless (as far as WiFi calling goes) permanently on any other network? Does not reinstalling the operating system (Android 10) take it back to factory settings such that it would then accept the ID mobile Sim?

Badge +10

@PeterBAB

I have been told by ID Mobile tech department that my phone is of non European origin, has had its software modified and will therefore not work with an ID mobile Sim. My question is now: If a phone has previously been used on another network and had it’s software modified, does this then render it useless (as far as WiFi calling goes) permanently on any other network? Does not reinstalling the operating system (Android 10) take it back to factory settings such that it would then accept the ID mobile Sim?

Very good question…

Software modifications can be tricky to explain, they fall into 2 categories - however if your mobile is from another country it would explain why it is not compatible with wifi calling on the ID Network

1. Operating system software ROM - user mode
  2. Firmware software NVRAM - developer mode

Firmware software is what cause most of the issues this tells the Operating system what functions are available and most are country region specific. Most Chinese firmware based mobiles will not connect to channel 12 on a router wifi as this channel is banned in China. The same can be said for other features and functions. Installing the latest software will not solve region specific issues as these are firmware based.

You can rectify this by installing a compatible firmware mod to make it compatible - but this isn’t for everyone, it’s time consuming and not something I would recommend unless your technical.

Sony are the only manufacture I know of that started giving users the ability to such firmware modifications by granting access to the boot-loader which previously they locked.

The XDA Developers forum is a very good place to learn all about modding!

Userlevel 1

Thank you Terrywebbs.

Since getting your reply I have done a lot of reading and learned a lot. I have no desire to mod my phone, I just want the standard version that ID mobile use. I now know my phone has firmware version  1316-5270 (EE - UK) installed, so I don’t believe it is non EU stock. There appear to be only 4 firmware versions available for the XZ3 applicable to UK, namely EE, 02, Virgin and Custom. None are 3 network specific, although there is a 3 version for Ireland. What I don’t understand is there is no firmware package for ‘open market’ devices listed (i.e. a phone not dedicated to a particular country/network). So my question is now:  Can any ID Mobile / Sony Xperia XZ3 user with WiFi calling working on their phone tell me what firmware version they have installed on their phone?

Badge +10

@PeterBAB more good news….
Maybe if you get back in touch with the Team and tell them they are wrong with their assumptions on your firmware region they might be able to issue a network update to your mobile to get wifi calling working?

Armed with your new intel data I am sure you can sweet talk the team!

Why iD Mobile?