Question

Is using apple pay/wallet safe?

• 25 February 2019
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 1
I've always been slightly paranoid about using Apple pay or wallet even though I think it's a great idea. Are there any risks involved in using it? I've heard stories and always think someone will try and hack it or steal money from it using a fraudulent device.

19 replies

Userlevel 1
I’d day it’s very safe aslong as you don’t tell anyone your password etc as it can only be activated with your finger print or password unlike a normal contactless card which requires no password. The only problem I have with Apple Pay is that it seems to take longer to process and come out of my bank account. As well there’s always that potential risk of buying something in app accodnelty if you have Apple Pay set up with finger print and your not paying attention.
Userlevel 1
I would say it’s safe as long as your device is protected with some sort of security device, I hope this helps!
Userlevel 1
I've always been slightly paranoid about using Apple pay or wallet even though I think it's a great idea. Are there any risks involved in using it? I've heard stories and always think someone will try and hack it or steal money from it using a fraudulent device.
I you're particularly concerned turn your NFC off when you're not using it and get a RFID case.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
I use it all the time and never gad any problems. Plus touch ID helps great deal
Userlevel 1
I feel it is safe, because of Touch ID. So if you have a model of iPhone without that, I’d be more wary
I have used Apple Pay/wallet a number of times and never had any problems.
Userlevel 3
Indeed it is same with Google Pay had no issues! 😀
Userlevel 1
I have used Google Pay for ages now. Whilst nothing is ever completely safe these days, some bits of the tech are even safer than handing over your credit card as they provide a 'fake' credit card number so your actual card cannot be cloned at that point in time. That's what makes me continue to use it and I have yet to have any issues.
Userlevel 3
Well nothing is ever 100% safe but if you use it appropriately then yes it is safe to some extent. That extend is the optimum level of safety and therefore you should not be worried.
Hey @pollypocks,

I agree with @Hikari on this one. Using mobile payments is very secure and many places will only allow a maximum spend of £30 anyway, meaning any larger purchase have to be made with an actual card. :)

Ryan

Just thought I would say that the £30 restriction is only on contactless cards and Apple pay and Android pay can actually be used for up to £100 I believe.
It is the most secured wireless pay
Userlevel 1
Never had an issue with it, my details got stolen from my physical card which isn't contactless and isn't registered to my phone. So the risk is there regardless. Apple pay/Google pay have been very convenient for me. The only downside that I see is the time it takes to come out of your account, as its slightly longer but otherwise all good
Userlevel 1
I think that apple pay is safe because you need to verify that you allow the purchase with a fingerprint or passcode, ive never had issues and its very helpful if you forget your wallet haha
I never had a problem with it
Userlevel 4
I've got my debit card linked to my iPhone, but I have to either put my password in or use Touch ID to activate it. No one can get my money unless I say so! (Or if they have my thumb print 😱)

Rebecca
Userlevel 4
I have been using Apple Pay a year or more now, initially I didn't really get why people would use their phone to pay for things, but then the amount of times I wanted to buy something and I didn't have my wallet/card with me meant I tried it out and now I am a firm believer. Stores that don't have 'Apple Pay' set up are limited to the contactless limit of £30, other stores with full Apple Pay will actually allow you to pay much more for things using the phone. I think my highest was something like £70 or so which I only did as a test wondering if it would work (had my wallet and cards as a back up anyway). As my iPhone is set for face ID I have been happy with the security and my phone is with me all the time.
Jase
Userlevel 1
Yes and no the reasons for both is becuase it depends on what u mean by safe let's take a look

Apple protection against scams and leaks will not be as sucure and as easy to win in a case like that since its a third party provider but when it's the bank that is their job unlike apple who just distributes it at your approval via the bank
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hey @pollypocks,

I agree with @Hikari on this one. Using mobile payments is very secure and many places will only allow a maximum spend of £30 anyway, meaning any larger purchase have to be made with an actual card. :)

Ryan
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @pollypocks

I am using Google Pay on a daily basis and I did had my concerns on using it but I decided to give it a try and so far so good. I did not experienced any security issues or mishandled payments. Mobile payments can not be used until phone is unlocked so I did set up with my fingerprint and 6 digits passcode to keep it safe in case if I loose my phone. Personally I like to use it in situations where I forgot my wallet or to buy a ticket in bus but any bigger purchases I tend to stick to old fashion debit card payment :)

Regards

Why iD Mobile?