Solved

Storage problems

• 4 March 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

why do manufacturers make phones with only 8gb storage when they know this is insufficient for even the most basic of users?

and before anyone answers by saying expand the memory with an sdcard it doesn't work because facebook and messenger will not allow you to move these apps onto external storage! I'm horrified by how non tech-savvy people are treated. What do you think?

icon

Best answer by happywondering 4 March 2019, 12:47

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Cavs

It is all about price range people would like to spend for their phones. 8GB and 16gb are the amount of storage reserved for budget devices which are less than £100 like handsets from Alcatel. Then for the midrange you would be looking at 32GB for a price of around £170-£250 and flagships will give you all the space you need for as high as £400-£1000.
If customers don't want to spend to much money they need to be aware of shortcomings that will come with it but manufacturer offer these to cover whole spectrum of price ranges.

Regards
Userlevel 3
Badge
I think you are able to turn your sd card into internal storage so it acts like phone storage but that's a bit technical.

They do it to get more money out of you basically, as Hikari has explained well. Extra storage cost them more to manufacture, and therefore to make a phone cheap enough they'll often strip as many of the features you see in mid/high end smart phones to get the cost down.
Userlevel 3
Badge
They do it with chrome books too. They don't even have enough ram to run google chrome properly and the storage size is pitiful, so it's not limited to phones.

Years ago a phone was released that only ran twitter, and it didn't even do that properly. I get what you are saying though, it's a good idea on paper, but they'll only overcharge you most likely for the novelty.

If you wish I can find some tutorials to format your sd card to internal storage so you could tranfer fb to that, however that'd wipe anything on your sd card.
Userlevel 1
Hi, thanks so much for replying both of you x I get what you are saying and it's very interesting. However manufacturers are literally selling mobiles that can only be a mobile and not do anything else as the storage is taken up by its own system and all of its preloaded apps that most non tech people don't want. They're missing a trick imo. They should introduce a social media phone that's preloaded only with the Internet browser and then all the social media apps. Good idea?
Userlevel 1
hi happywondering I bought a new lenovo laptop and it can't even update windows on itself and it's brand new. I think it's an absolute rip off. You're right is the same as phones. Sub standard in fact. Fancy making a product that can't do the job it's supposed to do and selling it without any consequences. It's like a window cleaner without water or a supermarket without fresh food...or our government lol I'd love you to post the tutorial please although the tech guys have had my phone twice and said sd card won't work. BUT when I buy a new phone next month I'll also get a new sd card so would like to understand what to do. Thank you x
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Recently Google have released Android Go program that manufacturers like Nokia are joining in. This basically means that all apps are the "lite" versions, optimized to run sufficiently on 1GB of ram and 8/16Gb of storage. In the long run these phones will let you perform more basic functions and use it for social media for a price range of £70-£100. Good example here is Nokia 1.

Why iD Mobile?