Question

What is the most sustainable phone option?

• 4 March 2019
  • 1 reply

My current phone is showing it's age and sometime soon it will totally break down and I will have to buy a new one. For several reasons I need a smartphone, but I hate how temporary a lot of the major brands seem to be. I don't want to contribute to the consumerist system of buying new devices every year when a better version is released, and creating so much non recyclable or toxic waste.
Is there a smartphone that anyone has had for a really long time that they can recommend, or another option that I haven't considered yet?

1 reply

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @C I

I am using my Xperia XZ1 Compact for nearly 1.5 years I am still happy to use for some time. I tend to upgrade my phone every 2 years and this phone did really well in battery life and quality. After I upgrade my phone I will keep this one as back up since it's still in perfect working order despite multiple drops and liquid accidents.

Advantage in the longevity for this phone is the technology is using to preserve battery health as well as security update even after 16 months of initial release. Sony is using technology that allow you to charge your phone over night and keep your battery healthy for a long time. After all this time I did not experience any changes in the way my battery hold charge that many iPhone users have problems with. Also I have gifted Xperia XZ to my uncle, phone that was released in 2016 (I believe) and it's still being updated and has good performance and battery life.

To conclude I would recommend you to look into Sony Xperia devices if you are looking for long lasting device with support for security and good battery life.

Regards

Why iD Mobile?