Solved

8GB phone

• 4 March 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

why do manufacturers make phones with only 8gb storage when they know this is insufficient for even the most basic of users? and before anyone answers by saying expand the memory with an sdcard it doesnt work because facebook and messenger will not allow you to move these apps on to external storage 😃 technology is moving so fast 8gb is now substandard imo so why make a customer sign a 2 year contract when the phone will be outdated within 12. This is what happened to me and I have 800mb space left and clear my storage every hour or so just to make my phone function. I've learnt loads about phones in the last 2 years and I'm super disappointed with how non tech savvy people are treated. I know I won't make the mistake again but what an irritating 2 years it's been! What do you think?

icon

Best answer by ally153 4 March 2019, 13:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Wow, nice big font there... ;)

Unless you're a very light phone user, I'd tend to agree, even 16gb phones can result in some app juggling if you say, hav a handful of games installed.

The other problem with external media with Android phones is the media scanner, which finds new photos you take/edit can run too infrequently, ending in you (literally) having to wait hours for your images to appear in the gallery depending on what apps you use. My wife had a ZTE Blade V8 which had that problem with ZTE's own camera and gallery apps.

One thing that can help with low storage are certain cloud backup services. I use the OneDrive which automatically uploads photos to the cloud. This means you can delete local copies of photos to free up space, which could be useful if you use your camera often. Most online storage services tend to give you some storage for free, so unless you take lots of photos, you might not need to pay monthly for more space.
Userlevel 1
Hey Ally, it's my angry font! Well actually it's a left over of writing too big a question, so I copied and pasted it into comments without bothering to change the font although it expresses my irritation beautifully lol
I'm glad it's not just me that finds it ridiculous. I've put my photos on my sd card but no apps can go on there or rather lets rephrase that: of the 800mb of Facebook less than 2mb can be moved to external storage/sdcard and the rest stays on internal storage BY DESIGN (⬅ angry font 😂) same with messenger etc etc x
Userlevel 1
Also why is it saying that my problem is solved when it's not? What did I press?😂

Why iD Mobile?